Dyslexia - Personal Experience

Do you or your child have dyslexia? Please describe what it's like and how you cope.

Please select the white circle:

What is dyslexia?

Dyslexia has been around for a long time and has been defined in different ways. For example, in 1968, the World Federation of Neurologists defined dyslexia as "a disorder in children who, despite conventional classroom experience, fail to attain the language skills of reading, writing, and spelling commensurate with their intellectual abilities." According to the U.S. National Institutes of Health, dyslexia is a learning disability that can hinder a person's ability to read, write, spell, and sometimes speak. Dyslexia is the most common learning disability in children and persists throughout life. The severity of dyslexia can vary from mild to severe. The sooner dyslexia is treated, the more favorable the outcome; however, it is never too late for people with dyslexia to learn to improve their language skills.

Children with dyslexia have difficulty in learning to read despite traditional instruction, at least average intelligence, and an adequate opportunity to learn. It is caused by an impairment in the brain's ability to translate images received from the eyes or ears into understandable language. It does not result from vision or hearing problems. It is not due to mental retardation, brain damage, or a lack of intelligence.

Dyslexia can go undetected in the early grades of schooling. Children can become frustrated by the difficulty in learning to read, and other problems can arise that disguise dyslexia. They may show signs of depression and low self-esteem. Behavior problems at home, as well as at school, often manifest. Children may become unmotivated and develop a dislike for school, and their success there may be jeopardized if the problem remains untreated.

Return to Dyslexia

Comment from: Katie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I was in second grade, when they final told me what was wrong with me or at else thats how I felt. I had already been held back. I always felt different. I saw and heard things others didn't but I didn't get what they were talking about. Now my dyslexia affects me in all of the 4 ways hearing, seeing, speech, reading/writing. Now it sounds crazy but we people with dyslexia are some of the smartest people we just have to work harder. Now I didn't always believe that but now I am starting to. Dyslexia doesn't make you dumb. As a parent you can freak out or talk with your child ask how they feel about all of this. And before putting them trough more help or in another program ask them if they want to do it. Help them find something they are really good at and have them do it and praise them for it. Also help them fight for their dreams. DON"T make it all about school and the dyslexia. Make them see how wonderful they are.But talk to them all the time about what they are going through and their feelings. If you have any other questions about dyslexia or how to live throuhgh it or what helped me please ask.

Comment from: ANNE, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My son aged 13 has been diagnosed with dyslexia since he was aged 10. I knew for a long time that he had difficulty as he has great problems with reading writing and math. He also has difficulty with sequencing of events: times, days of the week, and months of the year. He has just started secondary school and is finding the transition very difficult.