Dyslexia - Causes

What was the cause of your dyslexia?

What causes dyslexia? What are the different types of dyslexia?

There are several types of dyslexia that can affect a child's ability to spell as well as read.

"Trauma dyslexia" usually occurs after some form of brain trauma or injury to the area of the brain that controls reading and writing. It is rarely seen in today's school-age population.

A second type of dyslexia is referred to as "primary dyslexia." This type of dyslexia is a dysfunction of, rather than damage to, the left side of the brain (cerebral cortex) and does not change with age. Individuals with this type are rarely able to read above a fourth-grade level and may struggle with reading, spelling, and writing as adults. Primary dyslexia is passed in family lines through their genes (hereditary). It is found more often in boys than in girls.

A third type of dyslexia is referred to as "secondary" or "developmental dyslexia" and is felt to be caused by hormonal development during the early stages of fetal development. Developmental dyslexia diminishes as the child matures. It is also more common in boys.

Dyslexia may affect several different functions. Visual dyslexia is characterized by number and letter reversals and the inability to write symbols in the correct sequence. Auditory dyslexia involves difficulty with sounds of letters or groups of letters. The sounds are perceived as jumbled or not heard correctly. "Dysgraphia" refers to the child's difficulty holding and controlling a pencil so that the correct markings can be made on the paper.

Return to Dyslexia

Comment from: CJ68135, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My dyslexia was found at a very young age. My mother knew there was an issue when I could not tell which hand was my left and which was my right. She was fantastic -- the ever problem solver! She got me a ring and used a word association, "a ring goes on the right hand." Then there have always been the letter reversals and I hated to read and I hated math!

Comment from: Hello poeple, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 10

My daughter has dyslexia and she was struggling with it badly since she was about 10, but the weird thing was to me that she was brilliant at sport and her IQ levels were very high especially with sport, art, and math, and just a very good understanding of life. But her spelling was quite low in the class and she was spelling words wrong when they were really short. I didn't do much about it but then I researched it and I went to get a test and it came back that she had it badly, but we both have learned to cope with it.