Dyslexia - Causes

What was the cause of your dyslexia?

Please select the black triangle:

What causes dyslexia? What are the different types of dyslexia?

There are several types of dyslexia that can affect a child's ability to spell as well as read.

"Trauma dyslexia" usually occurs after some form of brain trauma or injury to the area of the brain that controls reading and writing. It is rarely seen in today's school-age population.

A second type of dyslexia is referred to as "primary dyslexia." This type of dyslexia is a dysfunction of, rather than damage to, the left side of the brain (cerebral cortex) and does not change with age. Individuals with this type are rarely able to read above a fourth-grade level and may struggle with reading, spelling, and writing as adults. Primary dyslexia is passed in family lines through their genes (hereditary). It is found more often in boys than in girls.

A third type of dyslexia is referred to as "secondary" or "developmental dyslexia" and is felt to be caused by hormonal development during the early stages of fetal development. Developmental dyslexia diminishes as the child matures. It is also more common in boys.

Dyslexia may affect several different functions. Visual dyslexia is characterized by number and letter reversals and the inability to write symbols in the correct sequence. Auditory dyslexia involves difficulty with sounds of letters or groups of letters. The sounds are perceived as jumbled or not heard correctly. "Dysgraphia" refers to the child's difficulty holding and controlling a pencil so that the correct markings can be made on the paper.

Return to Dyslexia

Comment from: Edwin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I am 69 years of age and i did not find out that i had Dyslexia until i was 50 years old. Can you think of all the things that I had to go through in my life. I do not know where to began, but I wish that someone could have helped me, so i just had to do this problem myself. I could of had a better life, and this Dyslexia cost me a life time of bad decisions.If their anyone who can help me to find out if i could get government support for my learning disability in Canada. I had to do and hide a lot of things that I had no idea what Dyslexia was or was all about, BUT i new there was something wrong with me, like i said it cost me a life time of bad decisions. I have with me a dictionary book all the time. Sorry if i misspell some words.

Comment from: CJ68135, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My dyslexia was found at a very young age. My mother knew there was an issue when I could not tell which hand was my left and which was my right. She was fantastic -- the ever problem solver! She got me a ring and used a word association, "a ring goes on the right hand." Then there have always been the letter reversals and I hated to read and I hated math!