Dehydration - Home Remedies

Have you used home remedies to treat signs of dehydration? Please share your experience.

Please select the black square:

Can I treat dehydration at home?

Dehydration occurs over time. If it can be recognized in its earliest stages, and if its cause can be addressed, home treatment may be beneficial and adequate.

Steps a person can take at home to prevent severe dehydration include:

• Individuals with vomiting and diarrhea can try to alter their diet and use medications to control symptoms to minimize water loss. Clear fluids are recommended as the diet of choice for the first 24 hours, with gradual progression to a regular diet as tolerated.
  • Loperamide (Imodium) may be considered to control diarrhea. If the affected individual has a fever, or if there is blood in the diarrhea, medical advice should be obtained before administering medications to control diarrhea.
  • Acetaminophen (Tylenol and others) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, and others) may be used to control fever. Ibuprofen may irritate the stomach and cause nausea and vomiting, so it should be used with caution in patients who already have these symptoms.
  • Fluid replacements may be attempted by small, frequent amounts of clear fluids (see clear fluids information in previous section). The amount of fluid required to maintain hydration depends upon the individual's weight. The average adult needs between 2 and 3 liters of fluid per day.

If the person becomes confused or lethargic; if there is persistent, uncontrolled fever, vomiting, or diarrhea; or if there are any other specific concerns, then medical care should be accessed.

Emergency medical system (EMS) or 911 should be activated for any individual with altered mental status - confusion, lethargy, or coma.

Return to Dehydration

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had not taken any liquid from noon until 8:00am the next morning. Upon rising I felt nauseated and light headed. This is abnormal for me and I was unable to related this condition to any physical problem until I realized it was probably due to dehydration. I began to intake water and after about three hours I returned to my normal healthy energetic state. I also experienced sweating.