Dehydration - Causes

What was the cause of your dehydration?

What causes dehydration?

Dehydration occurs because there is too much water lost, not enough water taken in, or most commonly, a combination of the two.

• Diarrhea: Diarrhea is the most common reason for a person to lose excess amounts of water. A significant amount of water can be lost with each bowel movement. Worldwide, more than four million children die each year because of dehydration from diarrhea.
  • Vomiting: Vomiting can also be a cause of fluid loss. Not only can an individual lose fluid in the vomitus, but it may be difficult to replace water by drinking because of that same nausea and vomiting.
  • Sweat: The body can lose significant amounts of water in the form of sweat when it tries to cool itself. Whether the body temperature is increased because of working or exercising in a hot environment or because a fever is present due to an infection; the body uses water in the form of sweat to cool itself. Depending upon weather conditions, a brisk walk may generate up to 16 ounces of sweat (a pound of water) an hour to allow body cooling, and that water needs to be replaced by the thirst mechanism signaling the person to drink fluids.
  • Diabetes: In people with diabetes, elevated blood sugar levels cause sugar to spill into the urine and water then follows, which may cause significant dehydration. For this reason, frequent urination and excessive thirst are among the early symptoms of diabetes.
  • Burns: The skin acts as a protective barrier for the body and is also responsible for regulating fluid loss. Burn victims become dehydrated because the damaged skin cannot prevent fluid from seeping out of the body. Other inflammatory diseases of the skin such as toxic epidermal necrolysis, also may be associated with significant fluid loss.
  • Inability to drink fluids: The inability to drink adequately is the other potential cause of dehydration. Whether it is the lack of availability of water, intense nausea with or without vomiting, or the lack of strength to drink. This coupled with routine or extraordinary water losses can compound the degree of dehydration.
Return to Dehydration

Comment from: hmazuji, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

Nothing was going to stop me when I was in the army, going like there was no tomorrow. I signed up for the Nijmegen march, and after 75 miles dropped out with diarrhea and vomiting, a fever, and I was cold; very, very cold. For the longest time I thought diarrhea and vomiting were symptoms of dehydration, but looking back after years of retrospection, I have to admit something else was the problem. I had been drinking. I must have gotten sick from something else. Dehydration doesn't cause a fever, vomiting, and diarrhea, does it!

Comment from: gradgirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

As a graduate student with a very busy schedule, I realized after the fact that I barely drank any water for 2 days in a row. All I had was coffee and one diet coke during those days, and a glass of water at dinner each night. This morning I woke up with a horrible, horrible headache (no medication helped) and became very lethargic. I basically slept from 1:30-5PM. I've been slowly drinking water all night and am starting to feel better.