Croup - Experience

Please share your family's experience with croup. How old was your child?

Please select the black square:

What is croup? What causes croup?

Croup is an infectious pediatric illness of the respiratory system that involves the vocal cords (larynx), the windpipe (trachea), and the upper airways of the lungs (bronchial tubes). The majority of a child's symptoms reflect involvement of the larynx. Croup is usually a viral infection and may be caused by many different viruses, including those responsible for the common cold and influenza. Rarely, it is caused by a bacterial infection. Croup is more common in children between 6 months and 3 years of age and rarely occurs in children over 6 years of age. It is more commonly seen from late fall through the early winter months. It has a slightly higher frequency in boys than in girls. Bacterial croup is an infection of the same structures that are affected during a viral process. Treatment varies depending on whether it is caused by a virus or a bacteria.

Return to Croup

Comment from: Mary, Female (Caregiver) Published: September 23

My son is ten years old, and he was diagnosed with croup today. He has a fever of about 101 degrees, runny nose and a cough that sounds like a velociraptor (his words). The doctor prescribed a 3-day course of prednisone because of stridor, plus Tylenol for the fever.

Comment from: jude, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

When I was a child I suffered from croup so badly I had the room next to my parents, so I could bang on the wall when I had an attack during the night and they could hear me. I suffered from when I was at an early age and it stopped when I was about 6 or 7. My grandmother used to treat me with a remedy that always worked. It consisted of a mixture of 1 part methylated spirits, 2 parts vinegar, and 3 parts water. She would soak a bandage in this mixture, wring it out, then would proceed to wrap it around my throat, pin it with a safety pin, and then wrap a dry bandage over the top and pin it. As we lived in the country and I am talking about the 50s this remedy I am sure saved my life many times during my child hood before there were ambulances down the road. She always did it at night before bed time.