Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.

Please select the black triangle:

What are rhinitis and post-nasal drip?

Rhinitis is a very common condition and has many different causes. Basically, rhinitis may be defined as inflammation of the inner lining of the nose. More specifically speaking, it may be defined by the presence of one or more of the following symptoms:

• Rhinorrhea (runny nose)
  • Nasal itching
  • Nasal congestion
  • Sneezing

A significant association exists between rhinitis (allergic), asthma, and chronic sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses for >12 weeks) in some individuals. Some evidence suggests that 1 to 3 of every 5 patients has multiple conditions.

Post-nasal drip is mucus accumulation in the back of the nose and throat leading to, or giving the sensation of, mucus dripping downward from the back of the nose. One of the most common characteristics of chronic rhinitis is post-nasal drip. Post-nasal drip may lead to chronic sore throat, chronic cough, or throat clearing. Post-nasal drip can be caused by excessive or thick secretions, or impairment in the normal clearance of mucus from the nose and throat.

Return to Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip

Comment from: sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have had chronic non-allergic rhinitis with post-nasal drip and such bad cough. I use Flonase daily, saline flush, and keep my head elevated at night. I take Zyrtec daily. I mainly have this issue more mid-summer into early fall. Fans, air-conditioning and certain scents make me cough more. I have been tested for allergies by an allergist and I have none. He diagnosed me with non-allergic rhinitis. I have used Singulair and Atrovent nasal spray without much positive effect. Sometimes talking for a long time causes a lot of coughing. I also have watery eyes.

Comment from: vasta, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have had post nasal drip for over 10 years and even had surgery which made the situation worse. My main problem is I have bad breath, lost a lot of weight and cannot sleep well. I have used all sorts of sinus medications in vain and now use saline water, which helps me but I have to keep clearing my throat of sticky mucus. I am fed up of this condition.

Stay Informed!