Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.

Please select the white circle:

What are rhinitis and post-nasal drip?

Rhinitis is inflammation of the inner lining of the nose and it has many different causes. Rhinitis is a very common condition. Symptoms include:

• Runny nose (rhinorrhea)
  • Nasal itching
  • Nasal congestion
  • Sneezing

A significant association exists between rhinitis (allergic), asthma, and chronic sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses for more than 12 weeks) in some individuals. Some evidence suggests that up to 3 of every 5 patients has multiple conditions.

Post-nasal drip is mucus accumulation in the back of the nose and throat leading to, or giving the sensation of, mucus dripping downward from the back of the nose. One of the most common characteristics of chronic rhinitis is post-nasal drip. Post-nasal drip may lead to chronic sore throat, chronic cough, or throat clearing. Post-nasal drip can be caused by excessive or thick mucus secretions or impairment in the normal clearance of mucus from the nose and throat.

Return to Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip

Comment from: cheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I just read all of your stories and it is quite scary and depressing. It seems no one gets better. I have post nasal drip that is very loose and I feel it all day and night. I cough so much and so hard that I throw up. I am seeing an ENT, I'm on inhaler, nasal spray, antibiotic Zyrtec, and nothing seems to work. He now prescribed prednisone which I haven't started taking. I have anxiety about going anywhere; I'm afraid of coughing and throwing up. It is 3 in the morning and I can't sleep from coughing. This has been going on for about 2 months, I wish someone knew what to do.

Comment from: SteveT, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I suffered all my life from allergies. I used Sinex for 10 years plus constant every night so I could breathe and sleep. Now my nose feels permanently swollen and blocked. Last 10 years I have been on Flixonase and Beconase but have developed a cataract in my left eye and read this could be a cause. I stopped using all these steroid inhalers 2 weeks ago and just spray salt water. I can't breathe at night, wake feeling I'm suffocating, so lie awake. My nose constantly runs but frontal not down throat. I blow my nose constantly especially at meal times (all the time) which is an embarrassment. I just bought a diffuser.