Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip.

Please select the black square:

What are rhinitis and post-nasal drip?

Rhinitis is inflammation of the inner lining of the nose and it has many different causes. Rhinitis is a very common condition. Symptoms include:

• Runny nose (rhinorrhea)
  • Nasal itching
  • Nasal congestion
  • Sneezing

A significant association exists between rhinitis (allergic), asthma, and chronic sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses for more than 12 weeks) in some individuals. Some evidence suggests that up to 3 of every 5 patients has multiple conditions.

Post-nasal drip is mucus accumulation in the back of the nose and throat leading to, or giving the sensation of, mucus dripping downward from the back of the nose. One of the most common characteristics of chronic rhinitis is post-nasal drip. Post-nasal drip may lead to chronic sore throat, chronic cough, or throat clearing. Post-nasal drip can be caused by excessive or thick mucus secretions or impairment in the normal clearance of mucus from the nose and throat.

Return to Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip

Comment from: theo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

In May this 2015 I had a flu, after that I never stopped coughing. What's new to me is that I rarely cough during the day and at night, especially early morning hours, I cough a lot. And I am experiencing noisy chest, and it is relieved by cough. Medical history, I had sinus since 2005 and it was relieved in 2010 because I relocated. In 2014 I came back to this place and it started again. I was so worried I checked tuberculosis but it was negative. But I have persistent cough and at times I feel like something is stuck in my throat.

Comment from: cheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I just read all of your stories and it is quite scary and depressing. It seems no one gets better. I have post nasal drip that is very loose and I feel it all day and night. I cough so much and so hard that I throw up. I am seeing an ENT, I'm on inhaler, nasal spray, antibiotic Zyrtec, and nothing seems to work. He now prescribed prednisone which I haven't started taking. I have anxiety about going anywhere; I'm afraid of coughing and throwing up. It is 3 in the morning and I can't sleep from coughing. This has been going on for about 2 months, I wish someone knew what to do.