Cervical Cancer - Share Your Experience

Did you have cervical cancer or a precancerous cervical condition? Please share your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What is cervical cancer?

Cervical cancer is cancer that begins in the uterine cervix, the lower end of the uterus that contacts the upper vagina. Cervical cancer occurs in almost 13,000 women each year in the US, leading to about 4,100 deaths. Since 1980, the incidence of cervical cancer has fallen by 45%, and the mortality (death) rate for cervical cancer has declined by 49%. Survival rates among African American women are lower than for any other racial or ethnic group in the US. Cervical cancer remains a common cause of cancer and cancer death in women in developing countries without access to screening (Pap testing) for cervical cancer or vaccines against human papillomaviruses (HPVs).

Cervical cancer is different from cancer that begins in other regions of the uterus (uterine or endometrial cancer). If detected early, cervical cancer has a very high cure rate. Vaccination against HPVs, which are known to cause cervical cancer, is an effective preventive measure.

Return to Cervical Cancer

Comment from: scaredk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I first had precancerous cells 7 years ago. I had a colposcopy and they were able to get all of it removed. I am now diagnosed again with precancerous cells. I have bleeding every other week like if I had my period every other week. It hurts when I have sex, worst in certain positions. I have brown discharge as well in between periods. Ladies, don't ignore the symptoms, you know your body, if you feel something is wrong, check with a doctor.

Comment from: shelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I currently have cervical cancer, I am receiving chemotherapy treatments. I found out last February 5th that I had this condition. I have periods where I don't eat, don't sleep, get diarrhea, constipation, lower back and lower hip pain. Ladies, please when you get diagnosed, make sure you know the facts about your treatment options, and make sure your doctors involve you in every step of your care. I want a hysterectomy, but keep getting told I can't have one because of too much scar tissue. But I know that other people with more advanced stages of cervical cancer have had this procedure and are now cancer free. Please don't let your doctors tell you, you can't have something that you think will work. No one should suffer the way I do today because they won't do the procedure.