Cervical Cancer - Share Your Experience

Did you have cervical cancer or a precancerous cervical condition? Please share your experience.

Please select the black square:

What is cervical cancer?

Cervical cancer is cancer that begins in the uterine cervix, the lower end of the uterus that contacts the upper vagina. Cervical cancer occurs in almost 13,000 women each year in the US, leading to about 4,100 deaths. Since 1980, the incidence of cervical cancer has fallen by 45%, and the mortality (death) rate for cervical cancer has declined by 49%. Survival rates among African American women are lower than for any other racial or ethnic group in the US. Cervical cancer remains a common cause of cancer and cancer death in women in developing countries without access to screening (Pap testing) for cervical cancer or vaccines against human papillomaviruses (HPVs).

Cervical cancer is different from cancer that begins in other regions of the uterus (uterine or endometrial cancer). If detected early, cervical cancer has a very high cure rate. Vaccination against HPVs, which are known to cause cervical cancer, is an effective preventive measure.

Return to Cervical Cancer

Comment from: Nat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I have had pap smears once a year since I was 18. When I was 25, the results came back and I had irregular cells. They did a biopsy and found precancerous cells. I had a surgery to remove a small part of my cervix and I get to see my doctor twice a year now. He told me that I'll need a hysterectomy either after I have children or at 35. I am 28 at the moment and wouldn't mind having the hysterectomy right away if it means I never get cervical cancer.

Comment from: scaredk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I first had precancerous cells 7 years ago. I had a colposcopy and they were able to get all of it removed. I am now diagnosed again with precancerous cells. I have bleeding every other week like if I had my period every other week. It hurts when I have sex, worst in certain positions. I have brown discharge as well in between periods. Ladies, don't ignore the symptoms, you know your body, if you feel something is wrong, check with a doctor.