C. Difficile - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of C. difficile colitis?

Patients with mild C. difficile colitis may have:

• a low-grade fever,
  • mild diarrhea (5-10 watery stools a day),
  • mild abdominal cramps and tenderness.

Patients with severe C. difficile colitis may have:

• a high fever (temperature of 102°F to 104°F),
  • severe diarrhea (more than 10 watery stools a day) with blood, and
  • severe abdominal pain and tenderness.

Severe diarrhea also can lead to dehydration and disturbances in the electrolytes (minerals) in the body. Rarely, severe colitis can lead to life-threatening complications such as megacolon (markedly dilated colon), peritonitis (inflammation of the lining of the abdominal), and perforation of the colon.

Return to Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)

Comment from: Mary8479, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I had the worst diarrhea I've ever had. I had a fever and chills and severe fatigue. The very worst part of it the C. difficile colitis was the nausea.

Comment from: Reneec, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

C. difficile colitis was very draining for me. I had to be close to the bathroom. I went to my doctor when it first started and they could not pinpoint the C. difficile at first. I was still having the symptoms of diarrhea for 3 weeks and I finally told myself to go to the emergency room. There they found the virus and told me what I had. I was drained and they had a hard time finding a vein for an IV. My lower intestines were swollen. I was very weak, and it took another 3 or 4 days for me to get back to work and to have normal stools.