C. Difficile - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of C. difficile colitis?

Patients with mild C. difficile colitis may have:

• a low-grade fever,
  • mild diarrhea (5-10 watery stools a day),
  • mild abdominal cramps and tenderness.

Patients with severe C. difficile colitis may have:

• a high fever (temperature of 102°F to 104°F),
  • severe diarrhea (more than 10 watery stools a day) with blood, and
  • severe abdominal pain and tenderness.

Severe diarrhea also can lead to dehydration and disturbances in the electrolytes (minerals) in the body. Rarely, severe colitis can lead to life-threatening complications such as megacolon (markedly dilated colon), peritonitis (inflammation of the lining of the abdominal), and perforation of the colon.

Return to Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)

Comment from: christaboo78, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had suffered with severe abdominal pain, bloating, headaches, and watery diarrhea. The pain was the worst and anything touching my abdominal area made me want to cry and scream. I haven't taken antibiotics in a long time and not sure how I ended up with C. difficile colitis. In a month's time I had 2 very expensive emergency room (ER) visits, 2 regular doctor visits and finally went to a gastroenterologist. After colonoscopy, endoscopy, and stool samples, I was diagnosed with C. difficile. I started to feel better but after 3 days off of Flagyl I am feeling miserable just like day 1. I cannot go to work, and will be going on two months; I've been on short term disability. I recalled my gastroenterologist today to let him know I'm really ill again. This has put such a strain on my life, people just look at me like I am nuts. Bowel incontinence, watery diarrhea, migraines, swelling and abdominal pain are in full swing, and the nasty taste in my mouth... I would not wish this infection on anyone. I am afraid to go too far from my house because I might have an accident. I have no idea where I got the infection either.

Comment from: Kitty2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

With C. difficile colitis I have stomach ache, mucus. No watery stools but more trips than normal to the bathroom for passing mucus and stool or just mucus. I have fatigue.