C. Difficile - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with C. difficile colitis?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of C. difficile colitis?

Patients with mild C. difficile colitis may have:

• a low-grade fever,
  • mild diarrhea (5-10 watery stools a day),
  • mild abdominal cramps and tenderness.

Patients with severe C. difficile colitis may have:

• a high fever (temperature of 102°F to 104°F),
  • severe diarrhea (more than 10 watery stools a day) with blood, and
  • severe abdominal pain and tenderness.

Severe diarrhea also can lead to dehydration and disturbances in the electrolytes (minerals) in the body. Rarely, severe colitis can lead to life-threatening complications such as megacolon (markedly dilated colon), peritonitis (inflammation of the lining of the abdominal), and perforation of the colon.

Return to Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)

Comment from: Bubba, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I have Crohn's, and also take Prozac, Wellbutrin, and other meds. The doctors have found a yeast infection in my stomach and in my mouth. Could this be a symptom of C. difficile colitis, or a side effect? The white patches I scrape off the roof off my mouth, there is no blood, but there are other symptoms I have to deal with. I've had period of high fever 101-103 F with the shakes, due to the fever making me cold or giving me hypothermia-type symptoms.

Comment from: harlowette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have had diarrhea for 5 months and then I cycle into constipation for 2 to 3 weeks and back to the diapers. I had a simple stool test performed and that is when they found I had difficile colitis. In the interim I got pneumonia and had to take antibiotics. I am just hoping the antibiotics won't overpower the medicine I am taking for the C-Diff and I lose my colon.