C. Difficile - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with C. difficile colitis.

Please select the black square:

What is Clostridium difficile (C. difficile)?

Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) is a bacterium that is related to the bacteria that cause tetanus and botulism. The C. difficile bacterium has two forms, an active, infectious form that cannot survive in the environment for prolonged periods, and a nonactive, "noninfectious" form, called a spore, that can survive in the environment for prolonged periods. Although spores cannot cause infection directly, when they are ingested they transform into the active, infectious form.

C. difficile spores are found frequently in:

• hospitals,
  • nursing homes,
  • extended care facilities, and
  • nurseries for newborn infants.

They can be found on:

• rings (jewelry),
  • floors,
  • infants' rooms, and
  • diaper pails.

They even can be carried by pets. Thus, these environments are a ready source for infection with C. difficile.

Return to Clostridium Difficile Colitis (Antibiotic-Associated Colitis, C. difficile colitis)

Comment from: Grandma Anna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I went in for minor surgery for removal of polyps, same day in and out. My gynecologist prescribed clindamycin. I took it 3 times and found I was having diarrhea, but in two days I was very sick; fever, cramps, diarrhea and couldn't get out of bed. My gynecologist got me in pronto, she called my gastroenterologist, and he prescribed Flagyl immediately. I went to see him next day, and he explained everything to me, and cautioned me not to go near dairy products. I was tested for C. difficile, I brought a stool sample to the lab and it was positive. It took 2 rounds of Flagyl before I was better and it was 3 months before I felt better. I try not to go near dairy products. When I take an antibiotic I will also take Flagyl with it. I had a hysterectomy and my gynecologist gave me both Flagyl and antibiotics together and I had no symptoms of C. difficile colitis. I am very careful knowing how sick C. difficile can make me.

Comment from: LisaC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I was diagnosed with ischemic colitis in 2013. I had a few episodes over the next few years but nothing too serious. I had a tooth extraction on April 3rd, 2015. I was prescribed an antibiotic amoxicillin. I took the scheduled dose and on April 14th I woke up with the most excruciating pain in my abdomen. I had diarrhea, cold sweats, chills and throwing up. I waited until the afternoon to finally go to the emergency room. I was begging anyone who came in the room to make the pain go away. I received dual IVs of fluids, Flagyl, metronidazole, potassium, magnesium, and morphine for pain. I had 2 CAT scans, EKGs, x-rays and spent 5 days in the hospital with C. difficile colitis. I now have a new diet, probiotics and lots of water. Let's see what happens from here. Be careful of general antibiotics that will kill what good bacteria you do have and let the bad ones go rampant.