Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

What is non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is a type of cancer that originates in the lymphatic system. It is estimated to be the sixth most common cancer in the United States. The lymphatic system is part of the body's immune system and helps fight infections and other diseases. In addition, the lymphatic system filters out bacteria, viruses, and other unwanted substances.

The lymphatic system consists of the following:

Lymph vessels: These vessels branch out throughout the body similar to blood vessels.

• Lymph: The lymph vessels carry a clear fluid called lymph. Lymph contains white blood cells, especially lymphocytes such as B cells and T cells.
  • Lymph nodes: Lymph vessels are interconnected to small masses of lymph tissue called lymph nodes. Lymph nodes are found throughout the body. Collections of lymph nodes are found in the neck, underarms, chest, abdomen, and groin. Lymph nodes store white blood cells. When you are ill and the lymph nodes are active, they will swell and be easily palpable (your doctor can feel them when she examines you).
  • Additional parts of the lymphatic system: The tonsils, thymus, and spleen are additional components of the lymphatic system. Lymphatic tissue is also found in other parts of the body, including the stomach, skin, and small intestine.

Because lymphatic tissue is found in many parts of the body, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma can start almost anywhere.

Return to Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma

Comment from: lyncat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I have had chemotherapy followed by radiation to my right hip. I had 8 areas in my bones with lesions. I now have only 2 lesions. I went to a renowned cancer research hospital and given 2 to 5 years. That was back in March. I am doing infusions of an antibody every 2 months to keep my cancer at bay. What a whirlwind! I"m not sure what to make of all this, but I do know that I enjoy life each and every day!

Comment from: Ian Mc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin"s lymphoma (NHL) in 1999. I had CHOP and radiation treatment and made a good recovery. Unfortunately I was feeling somewhat unwell for a while in late 2012 and again it was found that the NHL had returned. This time I had treatment of R-Chop. A good result again that there was no sign of the cancer. I am now on the rituximab maintenance for the next 2 years, taken every 3 months. So far so good. I just feel so tired and find it hard some days to function right. Every pain or ache you think something is not right. You just try and get your head in the right space. I want to go back to work but find it very difficult to imagine what I could do. I think you must try and push through things. I hope things do get better and encourage everyone to do the same. I am sure we can get through this and with some support from loved ones I reckon it is doable. Keep at it all. Do your best.