Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

What is non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is a type of cancer that originates in the lymphatic system. It is estimated to be the sixth most common cancer in the United States. The lymphatic system is part of the body's immune system and helps fight infections and other diseases. In addition, the lymphatic system filters out bacteria, viruses, and other unwanted substances.

The lymphatic system consists of the following:

Lymph vessels: These vessels branch out throughout the body similar to blood vessels.

• Lymph: The lymph vessels carry a clear fluid called lymph. Lymph contains white blood cells including a type of white blood cell called lymphocytes (such as B cells and T cells).
  • Lymph nodes: Lymph vessels are interconnected to small masses of lymph tissue called lymph nodes. Lymph nodes are found throughout the body. Collections of lymph nodes are found in the neck, underarms, chest, abdomen, and groin. Lymph nodes store white blood cells. When you are ill and the lymph nodes are active, they will swell and be easily palpable (a doctor can feel them during an examination).
  • Additional parts of the lymphatic system: The tonsils, thymus, and spleen are additional components of the lymphatic system. Lymphatic tissue is also found in other parts of the body, including the stomach, skin, and small intestine.

Because lymphatic tissue is found in many parts of the body, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma can start almost anywhere.

Return to Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma

Comment from: marhadaway, (Patient) Published: December 22

I had pain in groin and doctor ordered sonogram and blood work. He sent me to a hematologist and he ordered CT and biopsy, but they did not do biopsy as I cannot have the dye. I went back for a follow up and he said I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and would watch blood work every 3 months. I asked for a PET scan, and it is all in one area. He tells me not to worry about it.

Comment from: Patrick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I was watching a program on TV one day and noticed a fairly large lump in my neck. I asked my wife to feel it and she felt I should call the doctor immediately which I did. He brought me in right away and had a biopsy taken. The biopsy confirmed cancer as potentially non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. A week later the lump was surgically removed and the cancer was verified as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Because the cancer was found quickly I did not require chemotherapy, only radiation treatments and a bone marrow biopsy all of which lasted for about 6 to 9 months. I was tested for 5 years afterwards before being considered cancer free. And that is where I stand today, 10 years after the fact. Early diagnoses saved my life.