Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes

Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.

Please select the white circle:

What conditions and diseases cause carpal tunnel syndrome?

For most patients, the cause of their carpal tunnel syndrome is unknown. Any condition that exerts pressure on the median nerve at the wrist can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Common conditions that can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome include obesity, pregnancy, hypothyroidism, arthritis, diabetes, and trauma. Tendon inflammation resulting from repetitive work, such as uninterrupted typing, can also cause carpal tunnel symptoms. Carpal tunnel syndrome from repetitive maneuvers has been referred to as one of the repetitive stress injuries, although this relationship remains controversial in the evidence based literature. Some rare diseases can cause deposition of abnormal substances in and around the carpal tunnel, leading to nerve irritation. These diseases include amyloidosis, sarcoidosis, multiple myeloma, and leukemia.

Return to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome

Comment from: wallace, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I was told I had carpal tunnel at age 21 after my daughter was born. I'm now 44 and have lost all use of my thumbs on both hands. If you have been told you have carpal tunnel, get them fixed as soon as possible, don't wait till it's too late to fix.

Comment from: 850phx, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have osteoporosis and had a Reclast injection about a month before I had very strong symptoms of carpal tunnel. I had surgery on my right hand right away and have minor symptoms on my left. I believe Reclast does bad things to your bones including making arthritis worse, and causes bone sprouts (on my right big toe one came out of nowhere just after the injection).