Anorexia - Prevention

Please share suggestions for preventing anorexia nervosa.

Please select the black square:

How can anorexia nervosa be prevented?

While educating the public about the important health benefits of appropriate nutrition is generally beneficial, it has been found to be less specifically helpful in the prevention of eating disorders and other body image problems. More effective approaches are thought to be the addition of education about the bias of media images toward excessive thinness as desirable. Helping people internalize a self-image and health behaviors that are inconsistent with those of eating disordered individuals have also found to be effective prevention methods for anorexia.

Return to Anorexia

Comment from: lovestarved, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

This is a pretty good article. I have suffered from this since age 18. I am now in my 30s. I manage. This is a true lack of love illness and a need to control something, anything. Also ask most people who have anorexia and they will tell you that they have been sexually abused. I believe abuse leads to this. An abuse addiction if you ill. The only way to feel normal is to abuse yourself. Sometimes there is not fix for the damage done. I am glad to see that there are more people who know this is an actual illness. Looking in the mirror and not seeing yourself as you are is very dangerous. What part of the brain controls vision and how a person perceives a look in the mirror? I believe that a medicine that worked on that part of the brain could help a lot. Most people though truly never recover. This is the worst of all the diseases there are. I have about five to six diseases and this is by far the worst. I hope a doctor reads this and will do a clinical study to help all afflicted. We really do not see what others do; it is frightening. Doctors, direct your focus on perception and abuse.