Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

What are the symptoms of thyroid nodules?

The vast majority of thyroid nodules do not cause symptoms. However, if the cells in the nodules are functioning and producing thyroid hormone on their own, the nodule may produce signs and symptoms of too much thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism). A small number of patients complain of pain at the site of the nodule that can travel to the ear or jaw. If the nodule is very large, it can cause difficulty swallowing or shortness of breath by compressing the esophagus (tube connecting the mouth to the stomach) or trachea (windpipe). In rare instances, a patient may complain of hoarseness or difficulty speaking because of compression of the larynx (voice box).

Return to Thyroid Nodules

Comment from: Nicole, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I went to the doctor today for a routine checkup. A couple of weeks ago I went to get blood work done. The results came back and my thyroid levels are off. She felt my throat and had me swallow and the doctor said she was concerned and wanted me to get an ultrasound of my thyroid. She looked concerned. I scheduled my ultrasound today for 3pm. I'll be going back in 2 months for a follow up. The doctor said my thyroid was enlarged, I should have got my thyroid checked out sooner.

Comment from: LisaM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Right after the first of the year I noticed a slight swelling on my thyroid. When I was about 20 I was hyperthyroid, I took Tapazole for 1 year and everything seemed to be ok. But now I have had blood work which came back normal, an ultrasound that says I have three nodules and FNA (fine needle aspiration) which came back abnormal. They told me it came back as a follicular neoplasm and now my chance of it being cancer is about 30%. Next week I have an appointment with a surgeon to have it removed. Scary but now I just want to get it over with. The nodules explain why I have felt this fullness in my throat. I also get an achy feeling on my collar bone and up towards my left ear.

Stay Informed!