Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of thyroid nodules?

The vast majority of thyroid nodules do not cause symptoms. However, if the cells in the nodules are functioning and producing thyroid hormone on their own, the nodule may produce signs and symptoms of too much thyroid hormone (hyperthyroidism). A small number of patients complain of pain at the site of the nodule that can travel to the ear or jaw. If the nodule is very large, it can cause difficulty swallowing or shortness of breath by compressing the esophagus (tube connecting the mouth to the stomach) or trachea (windpipe). In rare instances, a patient may complain of hoarseness or difficulty speaking because of compression of the larynx (voice box).

Return to Thyroid Nodules

Comment from: Pmr27, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

Around 6 years ago I had the left side of my thyroid removed because of a 1 cm nodule. I now have 4 nodules in my remaining right half, maybe more now, as each scan shows more! I am tired, depressed, and totally exhausted. I don't even want to walk the dogs, cook, or shop! I've lost interest in most things. Doctors do the appropriate blood tests, but so far no treatment has been deemed necessary. I'm sleeping my life away. I'm sure my current anti-depressants are not working so life is unpleasant big time at the moment. All my doctor wants to do is get my heart tested. I'm confused and too tired to care anymore.

Comment from: sonia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have been to the hospital today, a follow up after being diagnosed with a large goiter and solid mass of thyroid nodules. The doctor put a camera down my throat and said my left vocal cord seems paralyzed!! The goiter is constricting my trachea. I have fullness in neck, my collarbone hurts and I have terrific shoulder pain. I feel terrible, can't sleep, all my joints hurt, and I feel anxious and churned up all the time. I now have to have another ultrasound and fine needle aspiration before a decision is made about what to do. What I'm upset about is no one wants to help with how poorly I feel because my blood test came back normal. I had a partial thyroid removal 25 years ago but not on medication. I feel like I'm going mad and it's going on and on!