Acne (Pimples) - Share Your Experience

Please share your experience with acne (pimples).

What is acne?

Acne (acne vulgaris, common acne) is a disease of the hair follicles of the face, chest, and back that affects almost all teenagers during puberty; the only exception being members of a few primitive Neolithic isolated tribes living in isolation. It is not caused by bacteria, although bacteria play a role in its development. It is not unusual for some women to develop acne in their mid- to late-20s.

Acne appears on the skin as...

• occluded pores ("comedones"), also known as blackheads or whiteheads,
  • tender red bumps also known as pimples or zits,
  • pustules, and occasionally as
  • cysts (deep pimples, boils).

You can do a lot to treat your acne using products available at a drugstore or cosmetic counter that do not require a prescription. However, for tougher cases of acne, you should consult a physician for treatment options.

Return to Acne (Pimples)

Comment from: suzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I used to have pimples during my teenage days but it reduced, and now it has come back. For 2 years I have been battling with pimples, for some months it has grown worse like boils, I have used several creams like Skineal and Funbact, but to no avail. I wish I can get a lasting remedy now because I feel so ashamed when I pass and people look at my face. I have stopped even using soap, only water now, because when I try something new it increases, so I am scared now. I was told to drink more water and wash my face regularly, I remember I have used lime and also aloe vera.

Comment from: Hanif, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

One and half year earlier acne started on my face and it got worse with time. I consulted with a lot of dermatologists but nothing helped me. I am a medical student and then I started to study about acne. Now I have clear face with no acne, my age is 20 now, and I was 19 when it started. Some points which I want to tell you are: 1) Please drink plenty of water. 2) Please don't use any local creams that claim that it will cure acne, this and that. 3) Don't use soap on your face, use an oil control face wash. 4) Don't touch your acne. 5) Change the cover of your pillow every day or every second day. 6) Don't use towel to dry your face, use a tissue paper, once you dry your face by towel and then again you use that towel then the germs can attack. 7) Use multivitamins on daily basis. 8) And don't worry about scars left because it will cure with time. 9) And last, it take time to cure, so be patient.