Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair

Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.

Please select the black square:

Can a meniscus tear heal without surgery?

If the tear is small and located on the outer edge of the meniscus, it is possible that rehabilitation without surgery is all that is needed for recovery. The location of the meniscal injury is also an important consideration. Injuries that occur in parts of the cartilage that have better blood supply have a better chance to heal than those where there is little blood supply.

With other meniscal injuries, if the knee is stable and if the symptoms do not persist and do not limit lifestyle, nonsurgical treatments remain an option. However, the decision to defer surgery depends upon whether the knee joint remains functional and allows the patient to participate in their preferred activities.

Return to Torn Meniscus

Comment from: tim961, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I underwent an arthroscopic procedure to repair a significant tear in my meniscus. I had waited 7 weeks to see if the knee would heal on its own and it did not. After several days I can say that I feel 100 percent better and expect a full recovery. I already have very little pain. I am so happy I went through with this!

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had a torn meniscus from working out (I lost about 75 pounds ten years ago) but in the process I tore my meniscus. I put surgery off for about five years but finally gave in when the steroid injections stopped working and the doctor said I couldn't have any more. I had the surgery seven weeks ago and I developed a large egg size lump above my knee. It is quite painful at night time, along with my entire thigh. It wakes me up every night. It's not too bad in the daytime when I'm walking but I dread going to sleep at night. The physical therapist believes I have something called IT (iliotibial) band syndrome. I have more pain now than I ever did before the surgery. I go to the surgeon tomorrow since I can't stand it anymore.