Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair

Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.

Can a meniscus tear heal without surgery?

If the tear is small and located on the outer edge of the meniscus, it is possible that rehabilitation without surgery is all that is needed for recovery. The location of the meniscal injury is also an important consideration. Injuries that occur in parts of the cartilage that have better blood supply have a better chance to heal than those where there is little blood supply.

With other meniscal injuries, if the knee is stable and if the symptoms do not persist and do not limit lifestyle, nonsurgical treatments remain an option. However, the decision to defer surgery depends upon whether the knee joint remains functional and allows the patient to participate in their preferred activities.

Return to Torn Meniscus

Comment from: Bendix20, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I had surgery to repair my torn meniscus last Friday 2-12-16. I was in a bit of pain that day but was lightly walking on it and moving the knee by the evening. The next day it was very sore and stiff. The Vicodin they gave me did nothing to help. I had asked for the weaker medicine but wish I had not. Sunday it felt a bit better and I started taking 800 mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours and that helped immensely. I am still sore but I have been moving around and walking now for nearly a week. It gets a little better each day. Not sure how long the pain should last.

Comment from: Sandra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had surgery for a torn meniscus. I limped for a month before I had the surgery because it was hard to get in to see a surgeon, they are so busy. My surgery was on 5-20-15, my doctor didn't sent me to therapy until 2 weeks later when I requested it. I have gone back to therapy twice and I am still having pain and can't walk right. My last doctor appointment was in 11/15 and my doctor told me my thigh muscle is weak I have to exercise it. I am trying but it is difficult because my limp is making my calf hurt as I try to walk straight. I am still on anti-inflammatory medication and feeling very discouraged.