Torn Meniscus - Surgery To Repair

Please describe your experience with surgery to repair your torn meniscus.

Can a meniscus tear heal without surgery?

If the tear is small and located on the outer edge of the meniscus, it is possible that rehabilitation without surgery is all that is needed for recovery. The location of the meniscal injury is also an important consideration. Injuries that occur in parts of the cartilage that have better blood supply have a better chance to heal than those where there is little blood supply.

With other meniscal injuries, if the knee is stable and if the symptoms do not persist and do not limit lifestyle, nonsurgical treatments remain an option. However, the decision to defer surgery depends upon whether the knee joint remains functional and allows the patient to participate in their preferred activities.

Return to Torn Meniscus

Comment from: Linnea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a severe torn meniscus and had to have surgery about 4 years ago. They said I would be back to work in about 4 weeks. I ended up being out for a little over 2 months, because the swelling would not go down and my knee ended up getting frozen! I had to go have painful injections and it was a nightmare! But, it was such a significant tear, that I had to have the surgery. It took probably over a year to fully regain full use of it like bending down. I have a very physical job and haven"t had a whole lot of problems until a couple of weeks ago. I had to do a lot of painting at work, which consisted of a lot of bending and up and down a ladder about 100 times in the course of 2 days. After the second day I woke up in the middle of the night with swelling and pain in both knees, but the one I had the surgery on much worse! I saw my surgeon yesterday and am having to go have another MRI because he thinks I may have another tear and/or osteoarthritis! I"m only 37 and am very scared of what the rest of my life is going to bring due to this!

Comment from: Ouch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I"ve been experiencing some unprecedented pain on the inner part of my left knee. Being a gout sufferer with all my attacks occurring in my feet, I just figured it moved up the ladder a bit. After six weeks of icing and physical therapy (PT) an MRI revealed a medial meniscus tear. I will continue to take PT to the maximum along with trying cortisone shots as a last resort to surgery. Pain wise, I think I"d go with gout as the better option. It"s just unrelenting!