Torn Meniscus - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your torn meniscus?

What is the treatment for a torn meniscus?

The treatment of a meniscus tear depends on its severity, location, and underlying disease within the knee joint. Patient circumstances also may affect the treatment options. Some meniscus tears can be treated conservatively without an operation using anti-inflammatory medications and rehabilitation to strengthen muscles around the knee to prevent joint instability. Patients involved in athletics or whose work is demanding may opt for immediate surgery. Most patients fall in between and the decision to treat the injury conservatively or operative needs to be individualized.

Torn meniscus due to injury

The first steps in treatment after the acute injury usually include rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE). This may be helpful in easing the inflammation that occurs with a torn meniscus. Anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen (Advil), may help relieve pain and inflammation. It is important to remember that over-the-counter medications can have side effects and interactions with prescription medications. It is reasonable to ask a health care professional or pharmacist for directions as to which over-the-counter medication might be best. Rest and elevation may require the use of crutches.

Many patients choose initial conservative or nonsurgical treatment for a meniscus tear. Once the initial injury symptoms have calmed, exercise programs may be recommended to strengthen the muscles surrounding the knee and add to the stability of the joint. Maintaining an ideal body weight will also help lessen the forces that can stress the knee joint. Orthotics may be useful to distribute the forces generated by walking and running.

If conservative therapy fails, surgery may be a consideration. Knee arthroscopy allows the orthopedic surgeon to assess the tear within the meniscus and repair it. Options include sewing the torn edges together or trimming the torn area and smoothing the injury site.

Degenerative joint disease

In older patients with degenerative joint disease (also known as osteoarthritis), where the cartilage wears out, treatment options may be considered over a longer timetable.

Exercise and muscle strengthening may be an option to protect the joint and maintain range of motion. As well, anti-inflammatory medications may be considered to decrease swelling and pain arising from the knee joint.

Cortisone medication injections into the knee joint may be used to decrease joint inflammation and to bring temporary symptom relief that can last weeks or months. A variety of hyaluronan preparations are approved for mild to moderate knee arthritis and include hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc) and hyaluronan (Orthovisc).

The use of dietary supplements, including chondroitin and glucosamine, have yet to have their effectiveness proven, but many people find relief with their use.

As a last resort, joint replacement may be an option with substantial degeneration of the knee if conservative measures fail and symptoms of pain and decreasing joint range of motion affect quality of life and prevent the patient from performing routine daily activities.

Return to Torn Meniscus

Comment from: p. mueller, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I felt pain, after hard riding on road bikes, in left medial meniscus. I received cortisone shot and prescription for Voltaren ointment and knee brace. I'm fine now and can do metric centuries.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: April 30

I am currently 6 days into my recovery now, I got surgery for torn meniscus on the 21st and I now have almost full extension of my leg and can bear a good amount of weight on crutches. I waited 4.5 months to get the surgery done! Unfortunately, so my ligaments are very sore and weak as my knee was locked in position for so long. But I suggest taking the surgery route to anyone who has a tear, the pain is something you can deal with, especially with the medication they prescribe you. I stopped taking mine after the 48 hours and I can handle the pain fairly well. I expect my process to be a little bit longer than average only because of my waiting situation but already my leg is better than it was before surgery.