Ringworm - Is it Contagious?

How do you think you caught ringworm?

Is ringworm contagious?

Ringworm occurs in people of all ages, but it is particularly common in children. Ringworm is contagious and can be passed from person to person by contact with infected skin areas or by sharing combs and brushes, other personal care items, or clothing. It is also possible become infected with ringworm after coming in contact with locker room or pool surfaces. The infection can also affect dogs and cats, and pets may transmit the infection to humans. It is common to have several areas of ringworm at once in different body areas.

Pictures of ringworm (tinea)
What does ringworm look like?
Return to Ringworm

Comment from: ringworm what!?, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

For days I had noticed sores on my dogs and kept messing with them. Then I turn up with ringworm on my neck. Turns out our 2 dogs and kitty have it. From the sizes on the dogs, they had it first. When explaining to my vet that they only go in our backyard or my car, he explained that they can get it from the dirt. Since the weather has been warm, they have been rolling in the grass/dirt like crazy! They gave it to my kitten (indoors only) and to myself and my oldest son. Our other cat, who does go outside, has not gotten it. He doesn't roll but does snuggle with the dogs and kitten. So I guess what they say, 'some can fight it off' is correct. Because he's certainly been exposed to it. I read that after 2 days of treatment it's no longer contagious, seems to be accurate since neither the toddler nor my husband have gotten it (and they handle all the animals and are exposed to myself and other son).

Comment from: tmb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I got ringworm on underneath my breast after taking a hot tub soak in my gym. I wondered why my nails were green. That was because the gym knew that fungus thrives in warm moist areas.