Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Please select the white circle:

What are shin splints symptoms?

Shin splints cause pain in the front of the outer leg below the knee. The pain of shin splints is characteristically located on the outer edge of the mid region of the leg next to the shinbone (tibia). An area of discomfort measuring 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) in length is frequently present. Pain is often noted at the early portion of the workout, then lessens, only to reappear near the end of the training session. Shin splint discomfort is often described as dull at first. However, with continuing trauma, the pain can become so extreme as to cause the athlete to stop workouts altogether.

Return to Shin Splints

Comment from: pushedtoohard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

Never underestimate your shin splints. In high school my track coach had the 'run through it' attitude. I ended up with shin splints that destroyed my track career. After graduation it took more than a year of doing no activity at all before I was able to run 15 feet without pain. It was a horribly painful and emotional experience. If you have shin splints do not allow your parents or your coaches to push you through the pain because shin splints do not get better without rest.

Comment from: Nathan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I am a moderate triathlete now in marathon mode training. I'm now experiencing my second occurrence of shin splints, the first time round I experienced mild pain during a 5 km time trial. I still went for a long 22 km run the next day, but realized it wouldn't get better without rest. After two days off and a session on the bike the next day, it was much better. However doing some extreme ankle stretches to improve flexibility for swimming seemed to aggravate it again particularly in the ankle area. Thankfully after another 2 days off, I fully recovered and did a personal best at an Olympic triathlon and was all good for a couple of months. If I had to describe the pain I experienced it was a bit like having DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) wrapped really close to bone on the front of the shin and a bit on the ankles. It wasn't too bad, but avoiding pain makes sense for it to heal. On my second occurrence I've tended to run through it a bit for a week now. All the advice seems to be you need rest for it to heel, so I'm finally doing that. Overall it's a bit worse in that I can feel it a bit walking now, but it's not that bad yet, I'll see how I go with rest and cross training the next week.