Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Please select the black triangle:

What are shin splints symptoms?

Shin splints cause pain in the front of the outer leg below the knee. The pain of shin splints is characteristically located on the outer edge of the mid region of the leg next to the shinbone (tibia). An area of discomfort measuring 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) in length is frequently present. Pain is often noted at the early portion of the workout, then lessens, only to reappear near the end of the training session. Shin splint discomfort is often described as dull at first. However, with continuing trauma, the pain can become so extreme as to cause the athlete to stop workouts altogether.

Return to Shin Splints

Comment from: CalifNurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

Twelve days ago I attended my niece's graduation, there was no parking so I parked about 1.5 miles from the event and had to almost run so I would not miss it. I ran in a nurse uniform and wedge nurse heels/shoes. I was fine until the next morning when my left front shin felt like it would never be the same. It has not resolved at all, I either limp or drag the foot. I notice when I rest it, it feels much better, or wear sandals with heel it feels less painful. I will try ibuprofen. It feels like a blood clot or shin splints. If it does not start to get better I'll ask the foot and ankle surgeon I work for to help. (Typical nurse patient, I will heal myself!)

Comment from: pushedtoohard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

Never underestimate your shin splints. In high school my track coach had the 'run through it' attitude. I ended up with shin splints that destroyed my track career. After graduation it took more than a year of doing no activity at all before I was able to run 15 feet without pain. It was a horribly painful and emotional experience. If you have shin splints do not allow your parents or your coaches to push you through the pain because shin splints do not get better without rest.