Shin Splints - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your shin splints last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Please select the white circle:

What are shin splints symptoms?

Shin splints cause pain in the front of the outer leg below the knee. The pain of shin splints is characteristically located on the outer edge of the mid region of the leg next to the shinbone (tibia). An area of discomfort measuring 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) in length is frequently present. Pain is often noted at the early portion of the workout, then lessens, only to reappear near the end of the training session. Shin splint discomfort is often described as dull at first. However, with continuing trauma, the pain can become so extreme as to cause the athlete to stop workouts altogether.

Return to Shin Splints

Comment from: ruth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been having problems with shin splints for the last 6 months. Stopped any exercise apart from bicycling and swimming for about 6 weeks, and strengthening exercise set by my physiotherapist. Started trying to run small distances again and the pain was worse than it had been before, rested again for a number of weeks while I went through more strengthening exercises, different physiotherapist. Tried to start running again and it was better but still was getting pain. I am about to go and get X-rays and ultrasounds done with possibility of injection into the site. I am hoping that this might finally be of some help.

Comment from: JenninDC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have started the C25K (Couch to 5 KM) program and am on week 2. I've had shin splints every time I run. Going, quite literally, from the couch to running has been a challenge, especially with this pain. I am not giving up though. I ice the shins for 20 min post workout, then again before bed and take Aleve. I always give myself a day of rest. I need new sneakers but can't afford them right - no more excuses so a "run through it with a post-run routine' is my answer.

Stay Informed!