Boils - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your boils?

Please select the white circle:

What are boil treatments and home remedies?

Home treatment is an option for most simple boils. Ideally, treatment should begin as soon as a boil is noticed since early treatment may prevent later complications.

The primary home remedy for most boils is heat application, usually with hot soaks or hot packs. It may be necessary to apply them 20 minutes at a time for three to four times daily. Heat application increases the circulation to the area and allows the body to better fight off the infection by bringing antibodies and white blood cells to the site of infection.

If a boil occurs as a result of shaving, it is recommended to avoid shaving in that area until the boil has healed to avoid spread of bacteria.

As long as the boil is small and firm, opening the area and draining the boil is not helpful, even if the area is painful. However, once the boil becomes soft or "forms a head" (that is, a small pustule or area of pus is noted in the boil), it can be ready to drain (lance). Once drained, pain relief can be dramatic. Most small boils, such as those that form around hairs, drain on their own with hot soaks. On occasion, and especially with larger boils, medical treatment is required. In this situation, the boil will need to be drained or "lanced" by a health-care professional. Frequently, these larger boils contain several pockets of pus that must be opened and drained.

Antibiotics are often used to eliminate any accompanying bacterial infection, especially if there is an infection of the surrounding skin. However, antibiotics are not needed in every situation. In fact, antibiotics have difficulty penetrating the outer wall of an abscess well and often will not cure an abscess without additional surgical drainage.

Return to Boils

Comment from: farmerpatient, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I have been suffering from boils for about 6 years now, mostly on my legs and groin area, but a couple of times in the armpit area and a little bit on my chest too. The only thing that has worked for me is Boil Gone which stings a little bit but it is worth it and works better when I use it when the boil is first forming under the skin. Hope that helps someone.

Comment from: Lars, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had a boil in the same spot reoccurring over the years. I have finally realized that it is only when I eat a diet of no processed foods, breads, or pasta it clears up instantly, like 3 to 4 days. I do eat sprouted grain bread, protein, vegetables, and fruit but nothing processed. I swear they are diet related. That's my two cents!