Impetigo - Causes

If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?

What is impetigo? What causes impetigo?

Impetigo (pronounced im-puh-TIE-go) is a contagious, superficial infection of the skin caused by Staphylococcus (staph) and Streptococcus (strep) bacteria. Impetigo is more common in children (especially 2- to 5-year-olds) than in adults. Impetigo is most likely to occur in warm and humid environments and is most commonly spread by close contact (such as family members).

Return to Impetigo

Comment from: karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I'm 52 years old. I started getting tiny pimples around my lips and tried removing them by popping them. Within a couple days I got red bumps and sores that had a thick substance in them. Also tiny holes started to appear around my mouth and face, filling up with thick fluid. I have had staph infection in the past and got scared and went to urgent care. I was told that yes I had staph infection and impetigo. I was given antibiotics and Bactroban ointment. It is day 4 and I've had a little improvement but the sores are still around my mouth and I now have scars on my face. This doesn't just happen to children.

Comment from: johnson, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My daughter has had impetigo twice. The 1st time she caught impetigo she was 4 years old. The second time she was 11 years old. Both times she came down with impetigo was in the summer time and it was because she was bitten repeatedly by mosquitos. It seems as if she is actually allergic to mosquitos. When my daughter gets bit it's not 1 or 3 bites it can be well over 40 to 50. She scratches her bites which get infected and that turns into impetigo.