Impetigo - Causes

If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child?

Please select the white circle:

What is impetigo? What causes impetigo?

Impetigo (pronounced im-puh-TIE-go) is a contagious, superficial infection of the skin caused by Staphylococcus (staph) and Streptococcus (strep) bacteria. Impetigo is more common in children (especially 2- to 5-year-olds) than in adults. Impetigo is most likely to occur in warm and humid environments and is most commonly spread by close contact (such as family members).

Return to Impetigo

Comment from: Anonymous, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 28

My daughter plays ice hockey and she got an infection in a rash caused by her shin guard. She is on oral and topical medication for impetigo now.

Comment from: impatient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

My impetigo was caused from falling and scraping the skin on my face. It is still spreading a little. I am taking antibiotics orally and applying topically. I have self-imposed a quarantine because I don't want to infect anyone else. I have had treatment for 4 days but it's still spreading. I can't wait for it to be gone, have never had it before.