Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Please select the black square:

What is cellulitis?

Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and tissues beneath the skin. Unlike impetigo, which is a very superficial skin infection, cellulitis is an infection that also involves the skin's deeper layers: the dermis and subcutaneous tissue. The main bacteria responsible for cellulitis are Streptococcus and Staphylococcus ("staph"), the same bacteria that can cause impetigo. MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staph aureus) can also cause cellulitis. Sometimes, other bacteria (for example, Hemophilus influenzae, Pneumococcus, and Clostridium species) may cause cellulitis as well.

Cellulitis is fairly common and affects people of all races and ages. Men and women appear to be equally affected. Although cellulitis can occur in people of any age, it is most common in middle-aged and elderly people.

Return to Cellulitis

Comment from: hardyparty, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 07

The cellulitis infection started with swollen foot, black spots on toes and then skin inflamed. Skin would just disappear and open wounds that would never heal. It was painful to walk or touch. I kept bandages on the foot with Bactrim. Three emergency room visits and numerous doctors and MRI, I was gout/diabetes negative. Finally I had cellulitis diagnosis. Steroids almost cleared it with heavy antibiotics but it is now getting worse and I'm back to the doctor for help. Cold and wet weather seems to make worse.

Comment from: Heather, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I woke up one day with 3 small bumps in a row under my left nipple, at first they looked like pimples. They went from small to the largest being on the edge of the nipple. It was so painful to the touch and inflamed. It kept my nipple hard and swollen at all times. I tried everything from Epsom salts to triple antibiotic ointment, drawing salves, and hot baths and heating pads. I had some Bactrim DS 800/160 mg and took it for 3 days and I was still in pain and miserable, needless to say I felt totally drained. I finally said I can't handle this pain anymore. That night I went to the hospital my whole left breast was extremely red and inflamed. They prescribed me clindamycin 300 mg 3 times a day for 10 days and Lortab 7.5 for the pain and to help with the swelling. The strain of cellulitis that I contracted somehow was the staphylococcus version of it. I am now on my second day of antibiotics and it is helping a lot. I actually felt half human today rather than just constantly sleeping and crying. Hopefully this takes care of it but I am still following up with the breast specialist to be on the safe side.