Cellulitis - Infection

Please describe your experience with a cellulitis infection.

Please select the white circle:

What is cellulitis?

Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and tissues beneath the skin. Unlike impetigo, which is a very superficial skin infection, cellulitis is an infection that also involves the skin's deeper layers: the dermis and subcutaneous tissue. The main bacteria responsible for cellulitis are Streptococcus and Staphylococcus ("staph"), the same bacteria that can cause impetigo. MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staph aureus) can also cause cellulitis. Sometimes, other bacteria (for example, Hemophilus influenzae, Pneumococcus, and Clostridium species) may cause cellulitis as well.

Cellulitis is fairly common and affects people of all races and ages. Men and women appear to be equally affected. Although cellulitis can occur in people of any age, it is most common in middle-aged and elderly people.

Return to Cellulitis

Comment from: MAN WTF, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I am not sure how I contracted cellulitis. I felt a small lump in my groin and thought I had an inguinal hernia. A few days later the pain increased and my skin from my pelvis to my penis started bubbling and swelling. I went to the emergency room. While at the emergency room I noticed I had a pimple like bump on the underside of my penis. I wondered if it was spider bite but the doctor said it was not likely. I also work in a hospital so may have got it from a bathroom in the hospital. Blood work came back fine and so did urine. I started antibiotic treatments and began to get bad headaches, fevers and chills. Five days into the antibiotics I got a rash on my upper body and went into the emergency room and got an IV. No more symptoms after this visit and I stopped antibiotics.

Comment from: Greenie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My husband had a pimple on his nose and two days later his face all got red hard and swollen. He took antibiotics for a day, but no change. He is in hospital on IV antibiotics for cellulitis, been on it a day and no change yet.