Skin Tag - Diagnosis

Did your skin tag turn purple or black? If so, what was the outcome?

Please select the white circle:

What happens when a skin tag suddenly turns purple or black?

A thrombosed or clotted skin tag may suddenly change colors and become purple or black. Thrombosed skin tags are usually painless and are more concerning to the person because of the color. Thrombosed skin tags typically may fall off on their own in three to 10 days and don't require additional treatment.

Skin tags that have changed color or bleed may require your doctor's evaluation and reassurance. Rarely, thrombosed skin tags may be a sign of another condition and need to be biopsied.

Return to Skin Tag

Comment from: GB, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I get a few skin tags on my neck, wearing a collar doesn't help. I've used my hair to tie a noose around it, they turn black and fall off in 4/5 days, painless and blood free.

Comment from: Marylyn, Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had lots of skin tags mainly under arm pits. I have been ill for 12 months, I am not diabetic but have vitamin B 12 deficiency, neuropathy of feet and lately positive for arsenic and selenium. What I"m concerned about is, one is black and doesnt look like it would fall off. I am worried of the chances of it being malignant.