Skin Tag - Removal

What method did you or your doctor use for removal of your skin tags?

Please select the white circle:

How are skin tags treated?

It is important to keep in mind that skin tags usually do not have to be treated. Deciding not to have treatment is always a reasonable option if the growths are not bothersome. If the tags are bothersome, multiple home and medical treatment options are available:

• Tie off tag at narrow base with a piece of dental floss or string.

• Freeze tag with liquid nitrogen.

• Burn tag using electric cautery or Hyfrecator.

• Remove tag with scissors, with or without anesthetic.

There are several effective medical ways to remove a skin tag, including removing with scissors, freezing (using liquid nitrogen), and burning (using medical electric cautery at the physician's office).

Usually small tags may be removed easily without anesthesia, while larger growths may require some local anesthesia (injected lidocaine) prior to removal. Application of a topical anesthesia cream (Betacaine cream or LMX 5% cream) prior to the procedure may be desirable in areas where there are a large number of tags.

Dermatologists (skin specialist doctors), family physicians, and internal medicine physicians are the doctors who treat skin tags most often. Occasionally, an eye specialist (ophthalmologist) is needed to remove tags very close to the eyelid margin.

There are also home remedies and self-treatments, including tying off the small tag stalk with a piece of thread or dental floss and allowing the tag to fall off over several days.

The advantage of scissor removal is that the growth is immediately removed and there are instant results. The potential disadvantage of any kind of scissor or minor surgical procedure to remove tags is minor bleeding.

Possible risks with freezing or burning include temporary skin discoloration, need for repeat treatment(s), and failure for the tag to fall off.

There is no evidence that removing tags causes more tags to grow. Rather, there are some people who may be more prone to developing skin tags and may have new growths periodically. Some patients even require periodic removal of tags at annual or quarterly intervals.

Return to Skin Tag

Comment from: Acedia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a skin tag on my neck that was starting to get irritated by my necklace. My dad told me once of an old treatment for skin tags, so I took one of my own hairs and made a little noose (my hair is fairly long so this was made easier) and just hooked it around the skin tag. I pulled until the tag just popped off. It took about a minute in all to do and ended with fairly little pain and some light bleeding. And it was free lol.

Comment from: Johnny boy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I noticed a skin tag in my armpit area and I thought I could only remove it through a doctor but a friend told me there are a couple ways to remove it at home myself. I chose to cut it off with a pair of scissors. I put alcohol on the tag, pulled it and one snip with the scissors and it was done. I had no pain and not a lot of blood. It's been 15 minutes since I snipped it and the bleeding has stopped already.