Sciatica - Symptoms

Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?

What are sciatica symptoms?

Sciatica causes pain, a burning sensation, numbness, or tingling radiating from the lower back and upper buttock down the back of the thigh to the back of the leg. The result is lumbar pain, buttock pain, hip pain, and leg pain. Sometimes the pain radiates around the hip or buttock to feel like hip pain. While sciatica is often associated with lower back pain (lumbago), it can be present without low back pain. Severe sciatica can make walking difficult if not impossible. Sometimes the symptoms of sciatica are aggravated by walking or bending at the waist and relieved by lying down. The pain relief by changing positions can be partial or complete.

Return to Sciatica

Comment from: Geogirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was about 4 months pregnant and I was sitting on the floor, bent my legs to stand up and the most intense pain radiated from my hip down the back of my leg. I sat there in pain for a few minutes before I forced myself to get up. I spent the weekend on the couch, then waddled around for two weeks after that. The intense pain faded after about two weeks, but I had sciatica pain until the end of the pregnancy.

Comment from: ANNA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

My symptoms started 2 years ago. My late mother was ill. She went to the toilet and then she told me she can't get up. So I helped her up. As I picked her up she collapsed in my arms. Sadly, she passed on in my arms. Two weeks after she passed on, my leg went lame. Then I started to fall as my leg just was weak. I went to an orthopedic doctor who sent me for an MRI. It shows my back got hurt. Now they say there is nothing they can do for me. I am in pain and can't bend my knee. I joined a gym but it is painful. I am so tired of this sciatica pain.