Sciatica - Symptoms

Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?

Please select the black square:

What are sciatica symptoms?

Sciatica causes pain, a burning sensation, numbness, or tingling radiating from the lower back and upper buttock down the back of the thigh to the back of the leg. The result is lumbar pain, buttock pain, hip pain, and leg pain. Sometimes the pain radiates around the hip or buttock to feel like hip pain. While sciatica is often associated with lower back pain (lumbago), it can be present without low back pain. Severe sciatica can make walking difficult if not impossible. Sometimes the symptoms of sciatica are aggravated by walking or bending at the waist and relieved by lying down. The pain relief by changing positions can be partial or complete.

Return to Sciatica

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

My last experience with sciatica nerve pain was so intense I thought I would lose my mind. I went to hospital by ambulance. They gave me a shot 2 Motrin and discharged me. I could not walk and I was alone. The pain was in my back, groin, and down my thigh in the front. That"s the worst pain, I"d rather have 100 babies. I had to bend like a U in order to make it to a cab and to my apartment. I'm still in pain and cannot stand up straight. My thigh is still numb.

Comment from: Paige, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

We had a flood at work and I fell badly on my back whilst helping to clean up. Hours later, I found I could barely walk, sit down or even stand. The pain radiates from my lower left back all the way down my inner thigh, the back of my leg to my toes. The pain is especially more intense and excruciating by the end of the day. The pain feels like a pinched/trapped nerve. At times the leg feels very heavy with tingling sensation. I have a very high threshold of pain but the other day I almost cried. I enjoy power walking in the mornings but I"m too scared to go walking now.