Sciatica - Symptoms

Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?

What are sciatica symptoms?

Sciatica causes pain, a burning sensation, numbness, or tingling radiating from the lower back and upper buttock down the back of the thigh to the back of the leg. The result is lumbar pain, buttock pain, hip pain, and leg pain. Sometimes the pain radiates around the hip or buttock to feel like hip pain. While sciatica is often associated with lower back pain (lumbago), it can be present without low back pain. Severe sciatica can make walking difficult if not impossible. Sometimes the symptoms of sciatica are aggravated by walking or bending at the waist and relieved by lying down. The pain relief by changing positions can be partial or complete.

Return to Sciatica

Comment from: jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

My symptoms started after a hike in the snow. I was a little stiff and then did a 140 step stair climb twice. After that I started to get sharp electric pains in my inner thigh and throbbing from my hip down to my ankle on the right side. I tried acupuncture and physiotherapy and finally after a year I had an MRI to find that my disks were starting to show osteoarthritis. It has been 18 months now. I have had chiropractors, acupuncture and osteopaths work on me. I still cannot sleep at night without pills and meds. I stopped taking ibuprofen after I ended up with hemorrhoid problems due to constipation caused from it.

Comment from: lemonella, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I bent over to remove some articles of clothing from my luggage and after a popping sound in the back, a sharp pain quickly ran up my inner thigh. It felt as though I had been kicked. Since that time I have had this excruciating pain in the back of my thigh radiating up to and through the buttocks. It is difficult to walk without bending over thus putting more pressure on the right side. This pain has lasted for a week. This is the second time I have had this pain just from bending over, and yes I know the proper way to lift, etc. Time to see the doctor again. Acetaminophen is not getting the job done.

Stay Informed!