Hip Bursitis - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?

Please select the black square:

What is the prognosis for hip bursitis?

Usually hip bursitis responds completely to conservative treatments. Either oral or injectable anti-inflammatory medications frequently resolve the symptoms within a week. Infectious bursitis must be cured with antibiotic treatment often with surgical drainage.

Return to Hip Bursitis

Comment from: Kellyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I first realized I had bursitis 1 year ago after attending a birthday party where I had to sit on a rather hard chair. A couple of days after the party I was in considerable pain in my left hip and the area around the left buttock was extremely painful to the touch. The doctor diagnosed me with bursitis after I had tried a number of painkillers, none of which made any difference and I can"t take anti-inflammatory tablets as they upset my stomach. I was referred to an orthopedic specialist who, after a 3 month wait and 3 weeks in a wheelchair, said I had to get steroid injection by ultrasound. This proved very successful and I had no further pain until about 2 weeks ago and I know from the symptoms that the bursitis is back. I am now waiting to see the specialist again and am hoping that if I have to get another injection that it will last longer than the 1 year that the first one has. Bursitis is one of the worst pains I have suffered as anyone else who has had this condition will know. Fingers crossed this next injection works.

Comment from: Skiergirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I was diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis in my left hip about 15 years ago. After trying the usual solutions, I had my left bursa removed. The pain went entirely away and I stayed pain free for 6 years. But your bursa can grow back and mine did. I got a total left hip replacement because x-rays and MRIs showed I needed one. But one year after that, my left hip started hurting again. I think it might be the stairs in our house. And now my right hip hurts as well when I sleep at night. I can't take anti-inflammatories. Tylenol helps a lot. I will try the cream Vicodin suggested here and stretching. I want to get back to my road biking, alpine skiing and walking, but may have to cut back. Getting old is the pits.