Hip Bursitis - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your hip bursitis?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the prognosis for hip bursitis?

Usually hip bursitis responds completely to conservative treatments. Either oral or injectable anti-inflammatory medications frequently resolve the symptoms within a week. Infectious bursitis must be cured with antibiotic treatment often with surgical drainage.

Return to Hip Bursitis

Comment from: Beany, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I first was diagnosed with hip bursitis when I was rushed to the emergency room just a week before my fall semester of college was starting. I was in so much pain I couldn't walk or stand for more then short bursts. I was given a muscle relaxer and a pain reliever in shot form and then sent home with several anti-inflammatory medications and a weeks worth of Vicodin. I was told to do a set of exercises four times a day after a week's worth of bed rest. I now do yoga exercises and the calm steady pace has helped with my pain a lot as well as strengthening my joints.

Comment from: Kellyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I first realized I had bursitis 1 year ago after attending a birthday party where I had to sit on a rather hard chair. A couple of days after the party I was in considerable pain in my left hip and the area around the left buttock was extremely painful to the touch. The doctor diagnosed me with bursitis after I had tried a number of painkillers, none of which made any difference and I can"t take anti-inflammatory tablets as they upset my stomach. I was referred to an orthopedic specialist who, after a 3 month wait and 3 weeks in a wheelchair, said I had to get steroid injection by ultrasound. This proved very successful and I had no further pain until about 2 weeks ago and I know from the symptoms that the bursitis is back. I am now waiting to see the specialist again and am hoping that if I have to get another injection that it will last longer than the 1 year that the first one has. Bursitis is one of the worst pains I have suffered as anyone else who has had this condition will know. Fingers crossed this next injection works.