Liver Disease - Complications

Please describe the complications of liver disease experienced by you, a relative, or friend.

What are the complications of liver disease?

Except for gallstone disease and some viral infections such as Hepatitis A and infectious mononucleosis, most liver diseases are managed and not cured.

Liver disease can progress to cirrhosis and liver failure. Associated complications may include increased risk of bleeding and infection, malnutrition and weight loss, and decreased cognitive function.

Some liver diseases are associated with an increased risk of developing liver cancer.

Return to Liver Disease

Comment from: beccbart, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

I was diagnosed with a liver cyst in June of 2013 and had a follow up scan in January and was told that it hadn"t changed. However I have been experiencing fatigue, nausea, weakness, and light colored stools, and dark urine.

Comment from: martin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had pain under my breast, then it shot down to my abdomen. I thought it was my period. I felt sick then I peed all night, not properly; it was for hours. The pain still continues off and on. Yes, I have been drinking alcohol, I cut down but used to drink beer with ice, then changed to vodka and lemon water. I had a bad bout of too much vodka one night, with water and lemon and I know that has set it right off. I need to try and not drink when my husband wants to drink. Stress leads me to drink but I don't get totally wasted. I know it's my fault.