Dizziness - Treatment

What was the treatment for your dizziness?

Please select the black square:

How is dizziness treated?

Dizziness treatment

Dizziness is a symptom, not a disease, and treatment will be directed to the underlying cause. For example, dizziness or lightheadedness due to dehydration from gastroenteritis may require intravenous fluids and medications to stop the vomiting and diarrhea, while dizziness or lightheadedness from a heart rhythm condition may require admission to the hospital and specialized testing and treatment.

Vertigo treatment

• Vertigo from inner ear problems may often be treated with maneuvers to reposition the crystals and debris in the semicircular canals. Repositioning techniques that can be helpful include the so-called Epley and Semont maneuvers, and the patient maybe taught these to use at home.
  • Depending upon the reason for the inner ear inflammation, oral steroid medications to decrease that inflammation might be prescribed.
  • Over-the-counter or prescription medication is occasionally recommended or prescribed to help with vertigo. Meclizine (Antivert) may help with control of mild symptoms.
  • In patients with intractable symptoms and vomiting, intravenous diazepam (Valium) may be considered.
  • Patients with Meniere's Disease or acoustic neuroma are usually referred to an ear, nose, and throat specialist (otolaryngologist, ENT physician) for further evaluation and care.
Return to Dizziness

Comment from: cjw928, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have Hashimoto's disease which is linked to my Hypothyroidism. I get dizzy whenever I'm hungry so if I don't eat large enough meals or go too long without food I get dizzy and feel faint and get a sharp migraine if I don't do anything quick enough. Needless to say, I'm used to the feeling. All I do is eating something that has sugar (fruit punch works the best) and if I have food around I'll snack on something. The idea is to get something like sugar that works quickly and then eat something that will sustain you for a longer time frame, like crackers with cheese or a bagel. That way I don't need to eat a full meal in between.

Comment from: dizzydoc, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 15

If you are experiencing any type of dizziness, the best thing to do is search for providers who will help you. Do a web search for "treat dizziness" in your area to find clinics that can assist.

Stay Informed!