Dizziness - Standing Up

Please describe your experience with dizziness when standing up.

Postural or orthostatic hypotension

In individuals who are dehydrated or anemic, blood pressure readings may be normal when they are lying flat, however, the lack of fluid is unmasked when they stand up quickly. The lack of blood to the brain causes dizziness and lightheadedness. This feeling may pass in a few seconds as the body adapts. However, if dehydration or medications (for example, beta blockers) prevent the body from reacting by constricting blood vessels and increasing the heart rate, the dizziness may persist to the point at which the patient passes out (faints, or experiences syncope).

Some diseases are associated with an inability to compensate for changes in body position (autonomic dysfunction). Normally when a person stands, blood vessels contract to increase blood pressure slightly, and the heart rate increases to pump blood up to the brain against gravity. In autonomic dysfunction, a person may become dizzy when they move from a lying position to sitting or standing up. Examples of these diseases include diabetes, Addison's disease, or Parkinson's disease).

Orthostatic hypotension is a common symptom with Shy-Drager syndrome. Shy-Drager syndrome is a rare disease in which the autonomic nervous system degenerates and cannot provide the routine control mechanisms for the body including heart rate, blood pressure, and bowel and bladder function.

Return to Dizziness

Comment from: juno, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

When I get up I feel so dizzy at first that I feel almost like falling and when I first lie down I feel that everything is turning around.

Comment from: ddmarre, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My dizziness just started on Tuesday 12/17 and still happening when I rise from bed after a night's rest. My episodes with dizziness occur with different situations. First is the dizziness when I attempt to rise up from a sitting position, next I often get dizzy when I turn my head while sitting or standing. I almost always get dizzy when I lean over. I am very concerned.