Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms

In addition to swelling, what were the other symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of swollen lymph nodes?

Symptoms of swollen lymph nodes vary widely. A person could be completely free of symptoms (asymptomatic) and only found when they are noted by a doctor during a general physical examination.

Sometimes, swollen lymph nodes can be extremely tender, painful, and disfiguring.

More importantly, other symptoms related to an underlying disease that accompany the lymph node swelling may be more significant and clinically relevant than the lymph node swelling alone. For instance, symptoms such as fever, night sweats, weight loss, or evidence of local infections (toothache, sore throat) may provide valuable clues in determining the cause of lymph node swelling.

Return to Swollen Lymph Nodes

Comment from: sammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

For the past 6 months I have been trying to get my doctor and specialists to find the cause of my swollen lymph nodes. They are large, sometimes tender, painful, difficulty breathing (had to go to the emergency room because I was so swollen I couldn't breathe in April). I am hoarse all the time with a sore throat at times. The swelling is spreading from the front neck nodes to my cervical (hard to tip my head back) to my left groin nodes being swollen which is making my groin hurt and difficult to walk at times. I haven't been rechecked since April although my symptoms recur and I do not have a diagnosis.

Comment from: Flag girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

My salivary glands can get so painful that I cannot lay down on my sides. This last week, I had an episode where the swelling was such that if I turned a certain way, the nerve in my ear was impacted and sent shooting pains through my ear.