Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms and signs of thyroid cancer?

Most often, a thyroid cancer is found when the patient or the patient's health care professional feels (palpates) a lump or nodule in the lower front of the neck where the thyroid is located. It is most often painless and found incidentally, by chance. Occasionally, an enlarged lymph node may be palpated by itself in the more lateral neck or in addition to a thyroid nodule.

Most patients have normal thyroid function at the time the nodule is discovered and have no symptoms related to hyper or hypothyroidism.

It the tumor grows locally, it may cause difficulty swallowing food (dysphagia) if it compresses the esophagus (which is rare) or hoarseness if the recurrent laryngeal nerve that is located near the thyroid gland -- which controls the vocal cords -- is invaded and causes vocal cord paralysis.

Return to Thyroid Cancer

Comment from: sissypwr, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

It was so sudden. All this occurred with 6 weeks' time: I started having weird flashes of upper chest pain, upper back pain, incredible right arm pain and weakness in left arm. All of which I thought pointed to an impending heart problem. In addition, I had weird nerve pain in thighs, arms, wrists, and neck (I thought this was related to new Nexium medicine for my GERD). I went to my general physician and he ran blood tests. Suddenly my blood pressure, cholesterol, sugars, and everything was up. My white blood cell count and related counts pointing to infection were high too. Ultimately he dismissed it all. What! I had ear infection of right mastoid soon after and went on antibiotics. But then after a couple of weeks I had trouble swallowing (thought due to 14 days of antibiotics). All my lymph nodes started to swell off and on, got painful and would go back to normal. I had ear pain too. Pain one day and not the next; baffling. I went to the emergency room (ER) with all this happening. EKG and blood tests showed no heart trouble but because I mentioned frequent headaches they sent me for head/neck CT scan; which incidentally showed nodules on my thyroid. Concerned with all this happening in such a short time I scheduled ultrasound right away with ENT/Surgeon. After fine needle biopsy of 1.6 cm nodule it came back conclusive papillary carcinoma of the thyroid. I had none of these symptoms prior to June 2014 and by July 8th I found out I had cancer. I am scheduled for total thyroidectomy July 17th. Hoping all my symptoms subside and that the cancer has not spread beyond thyroid.

Comment from: bklynnyc, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I am 36 and I've had a chronic cough for at least 4 years. All the doctors thought after numerous tests it was allergies because the cough came and went months at a time. About a 6 weeks ago a lump in throat appeared and has now grown to the size of a lime. My cough returned as well. After FNA (fine needle aspiration) I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and I am having surgery. I don't know anything further until after surgery and my RI (radioactive iodine) treatment. I am frustrated no one helped me sooner. I am not afraid of surgery, scars, diets, etc., but I am fearful of the cancer having spread to my lungs or other areas due to the lack of open minded care for so long. I've only told 1 person until I know if it has spread or not.