Uterine Fibroids - Treatment

What was the treatment for your uterine fibroids

What is the treatment for uterine fibroids?

There are several options for the treatment of uterine fibroids that include surgery (hysterectomy, myomectomy, cryosurgery, MRI-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound (MRgFUS), and uterine artery embolization (UAE). Medical treatments include medications such as mifepristone (RU-486, danazol (Danocrine), raloxifene (Evista), GnRH analogs (Lupron and others), and low-dose formulations of oral contraceptives.

Return to Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)

Comment from: Lumpy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I was diagnosed with fibroids and level 3 endometriosis by laparoscopy and hysteroscopy in 2005 and the gynecologist scheduled me in for a hysterectomy. However in the pre-operation meeting with the nurse I was asked to sign that the doctor would also remove my ovaries although there had never been any discussion about this. I was not allowed to discuss it with the surgeon, it was just automatic. I didn't attend the operation. I have moved from Scotland (iron injections available) to England and here I am expected to take iron tablets daily along with mefenamic acid and tranexamic acid. They are making me constipated and incontinent. I think I need to revisit surgery as an option.

Comment from: Shelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids at the age of 35. I had absolutely no symptoms but I started noticing my belly was getting very large and very hard. I went to my obstetrician/gynecologist and she told me I needed to get an ultrasound as soon as possible. At first she thought I was pregnant. She measured my uterus as roughly 16 weeks. My ultrasound and MRI confirmed several very large fibroids. Being petite in stature I was told I could not have the fibroids removed laparoscopically. I ended needing a myomectomy 7 months later (November 2015) and I had a vertical incision. They removed 7 fibroids, altogether 1.5 pounds. At my follow up appointment 6 months later my ultrasound again revealed 1 large and 1 small fibroid.