Nosebleed - Stop

What do you do to stop a nosebleed?

Please select the white circle:

How do you stop the common nosebleed?

Most people who develop nose bleeding can handle the problem without the need of a physician if they follow the first aid recommendations below:

1. Pinch all the soft parts of the nose together between the thumb and index finger.
  2. Press firmly toward the face - compressing the pinched parts of the nose against the bones of the face.
  3. Lean forward slightly with the head tilted forward. Leaning back or tilting the head back allows the blood to run back into the sinuses and throat and can cause gagging or inhaling the blood.
  4. Hold the nose for at least five minutes. Repeat as necessary until the nose has stopped bleeding.
  5. Sit quietly, keeping the head higher than the level of the heart. Do not lay flat or put your head between your legs.
  6. Apply ice (wrapped in a towel) to nose and cheeks.

Return to Nosebleed

Comment from: Huschi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I started getting nosebleeds about 5 years ago--for no reason. The first time, I went to urgent care, where they packed both sides, made me swallow 2 blood pressure pills as my blood pressure was so high, and sent me to an ENT specialist, who cauterized the right side. I have been having 1 to 2 bleeds a year. I still get really nervous and it takes about 2 hours to stop the heavy bleeding. I use a cotton ball with Afrin nose spray and lots of paper towels. I always end up at the ER and they end up having to cauterize one side or the other. Trying to stay calm and realize that the bleeding will stop is easy to say, but difficult to do when you are vomiting up clots and still bleeding hard. I am told by ER staff that some people are just prone to nosebleeds--no reason why.

Comment from: Lan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I have had nosebleeds for as long as I remember. Last year, due to environmental changes, I suffered from a nasal infection and a serious case of strep, for both of which I took antibiotics. After the strep my nose, right nostril, was bleeding every day for about 10 minutes. I got it cauterized and it stopped for a month, I got it cauterized again and it got worse. After the third time nothing changed and now it is 7 months since they started, they go for about 15 minutes, and yes, every day. I am hoping to try an allergy specialist next because I do have allergies that have given me strange reactions in the past. What helps during a nose bleed, after I wash my face with cold water I pinch my nose, right under the bone, and after 15 minutes it stops. I get major headaches afterwards so I make sure to sit and drink water. Using Vaseline to keep it moist also helps. I apply it with a Q-tip.