Nosebleed - Prevention

If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?

Please select the black square:

What precautions can you take to prevent nose bleeding?

The most common cause of a nose bleeds is drying of the nasal membranes. If a person is prone to recurrent or frequent nosebleeds, it is often helpful to lubricate the nose with an ointment of some type. The ointment can be applied gently with a Q-tip or fingertip up inside the nose, especially on the middle portion (the septum). Many people use remedies for nosebleeds such as A + D ointment, methylsalicylate/menthol (Mentholatum, BenGay, Icy Hot), Polysporin, neomycin/bacitracin/polymyxin (Neosporin ointment), or Vaseline. Saline mist nasal spray is often helpful (Ocean Spray).

Return to Nosebleed

Comment from: mshea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been having severe nose bleeds in the past few months. I take Advil for my arthritis and they told me to get off of it for a while. Also, when I went to the emergency room last night they give me this round clip like a close pin with sponge sides and it was the only thing that stopped the bleeding. They really need to sell these at the pharmacy and advertise them. I am going to an ENT on Monday to get cauterized.

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I had excessive bleeding during many of my periods and blood separation: large clots and pink watery blood. I had a hysterectomy at 33. I also had nose bleeds that worked about the same way: clots would be washed away by light colored blood. Sometimes the nosebleeds would last 30 to 45 minutes. My solution was to eat spinach every day and take vitamin K2 supplements that I get at the natural food store. Now when I get a nose bleed it is over in seconds! Wish I had known about this years ago.