Nosebleed - Prevention

If you've had a nosebleed, what do you do to prevent another one from occurring?

What precautions can you take to prevent nose bleeding?

The most common cause of a nose bleeds is drying of the nasal membranes. If a person is prone to recurrent nosebleeds, it is often helpful to try lubricating the nose with an ointment of some type. The ointment can be applied gently with a Q-tip or fingertip up inside the nose, especially on the middle portion (the septum). Many people use remedies for nosebleeds such as A + D ointment, methylsalicylate/menthol (Mentholatum, BenGay, Icy Hot), Polysporin, neomycin/bacitracin/polymyxin (Neosporin ointment), or Vaseline. Saline mist nasal spray is often helpful (Ocean Spray).

Return to Nosebleed

Comment from: myonyx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

Recently, I have had very bad nosebleeds (just from the right nostril), usually followed by a headache. They seem to occur in the middle of the night or early morning, most of the time with clots. The usually last about 10 minutes. I'm not sure what to do about them.

Comment from: mshea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been having severe nose bleeds in the past few months. I take Advil for my arthritis and they told me to get off of it for a while. Also, when I went to the emergency room last night they give me this round clip like a close pin with sponge sides and it was the only thing that stopped the bleeding. They really need to sell these at the pharmacy and advertise them. I am going to an ENT on Monday to get cauterized.