Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience

Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.

Please select the black triangle:

Hypothyroidism facts

• Hypothyroidism refers to any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal.
  • There are many disorders that result in hypothyroidism.
  • The thyroid gland is regulated by another gland that is located in the brain, the pituitary.
  • Hypothyroidism is a very common condition.
  • The symptoms of hypothyroidism are often subtle.
  • A blood test is used to confirm hypothyroidism.
  • With the exception of certain conditions, the treatment of hypothyroidism requires life-long medication.
Return to Hypothyroidism

Comment from: Linda95959, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I am 73 years old and I have had the symptoms of hypothyroidism all my life. At age 21 I was told that I have narcolepsy. So I have taken dextroamphetamine since. In my sixties I developed high blood pressure and was put on a medication for that. One doctor suggested that I had hypothyroidism and put on the artificial stuff to no avail. I tried the natural stuff to no avail. I looked at my tests and they all said I was normal in my THS reading so I stopped taking the stuff. All of my medical team seem to think that my thyroid is normal. I disagree. My feet are numb and cold and tinselly. My hair is thinning. I am constantly dieting to lose weight. I can't sleep at night. My sleep habits are two hours and that's it.

Comment from: Carmen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have been suffering from hypothyroidism for the last 18 years. When I first had the symptoms I used to wake up in the morning after a good night's sleep and couldn't do the cleaning, I had to go back to bed. I went back and forth to the doctor for a whole 3 months and he used to tell me that I had depression but I didn't want to take any anti-depressants, I knew I had something else. Then one day I heard on the radio a doctor explaining the symptoms of hypothyroidism and went straight to my doctor to have some blood tests. When the tests revealed what I had I was relieved! I felt I was born again; with just a small tablet I gained my strength again and still am strong. I never gained weight, I prepare healthy cooked meals and exercise frequently. I am on levothyroxine and take 100 mg every day.