Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience

Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.

Hypothyroidism facts

• Hypothyroidism refers to any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal.
  • There are many disorders that result in hypothyroidism.
  • The thyroid gland is regulated by another gland that is located in the brain, the pituitary.
  • Hypothyroidism is a very common condition.
  • The symptoms of hypothyroidism are often subtle.
  • A blood test is used to confirm hypothyroidism.
  • With the exception of certain conditions, the treatment of hypothyroidism requires life-long medication.
Return to Hypothyroidism

Comment from: Carmen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have been suffering from hypothyroidism for the last 18 years. When I first had the symptoms I used to wake up in the morning after a good night's sleep and couldn't do the cleaning, I had to go back to bed. I went back and forth to the doctor for a whole 3 months and he used to tell me that I had depression but I didn't want to take any anti-depressants, I knew I had something else. Then one day I heard on the radio a doctor explaining the symptoms of hypothyroidism and went straight to my doctor to have some blood tests. When the tests revealed what I had I was relieved! I felt I was born again; with just a small tablet I gained my strength again and still am strong. I never gained weight, I prepare healthy cooked meals and exercise frequently. I am on levothyroxine and take 100 mg every day.

Comment from: cd, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

Hypothyroidism has been with me for 25 plus years and has masked itself being called depression more than once. I have had parathyroid growth involvement and removal of the growth on one gland, monthly excessive bleeding problems. Now I have possible adrenal involvement. It took me going to three doctors to finally get one of these to order an ultrasound for me because of my previous experience with the parathyroid growth, diagnosed by ultrasound. After over a year suffering with aches, pains, brain fog, depression due to the para and thyroid malfunction, swelling in legs, feet, hands, and joints, I have still not found a satisfactory doctor who seems to be well educated in the illness of thyroid problems. It is terrible to have to beg a doctor to do their job! Thank you for your listening ear and your ability to help someone who has felt there was no one who cared enough to even listen to the factual story.