Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience

Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.

Please select the black square:

Hypothyroidism facts

• Hypothyroidism refers to any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal.
  • There are many disorders that result in hypothyroidism.
  • The thyroid gland is regulated by another gland that is located in the brain, the pituitary.
  • Hypothyroidism is a very common condition.
  • The symptoms of hypothyroidism are often subtle.
  • A blood test is used to confirm hypothyroidism.
  • With the exception of certain conditions, the treatment of hypothyroidism requires life-long medication.
Return to Hypothyroidism

Comment from: 45FEMALE, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Years and years of being tired finally caught up with me. Anemia was ruled out. It started to frighten me. I would sleep almost 6 to 8 hours a night, be up for about four hours and want a nap badly. Then when I did get a nap, I would be out for 3 to 4 hours. Then up for about four hours and by that time it was bed time all over again. I also have high cholesterol. About three weeks before my diagnosis I noticed foods tasted off and my smells were off too (I knew I wasn"t sick). My primary doctor ran a TSH blood test. It came back showing I have hypothyroidism. I was thrilled. I wasn"t crazy, there really was something off. I have been on the medicine for a couple weeks now. I feel amazing. I can sleep for 6 hours at night and go all day without a nap!

Comment from: chrksun5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have been trying to lose weight for the past 11 years. I have gone so extreme as to only eat grapefruit and water for 3 weeks and gained 5 pounds. My hair has been thinning for the past year. I can sleep for 10 hours and wake up exhausted. I have a constant cough. I have had the lab tests done four times and all say I am within normal limits for the thyroid. I am at my wit's end. Now my doctor wants me to do a 24 hour iodine uptake test. All I want is to stop feeling awful and nearing normal limits.