Peptic Ulcer - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of your peptic ulcer?

What are symptoms of a peptic ulcer?

Symptoms of ulcer disease are variable. Many ulcer patients experience minimal indigestion, abdominal discomfort that occurs after meals, or no discomfort at all. Some complain of upper abdominal burning or hunger pain one to three hours after meals or in the middle of the night. These symptoms often are promptly relieved by food or antacids that neutralize stomach acid. The pain of ulcer disease correlates poorly with the presence or severity of active ulceration. Some patients have persistent pain even after an ulcer is almost completely healed by medication. Others experience no pain at all. Ulcers often come and go spontaneously without the individual ever knowing that they are present unless a serious complication (like bleeding or perforation) occurs.

Return to Peptic Ulcer

Comment from: fritscher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I, like one of the other posters, had a big scare last week. I normally am active and healthy but for the past month I was getting short of breath and hearing pulse pounding in my head. I thought I was having heart issues. I went to the family doctor who did blood work. He called me last weekend to get myself to the emergency room (ER) as soon as possible or I could have heart attack from distress. When I got there found my red blood to be a 4 and had gastro intestinal bleeding. They gave me transfusion of 6 units and then did the upper gastro intestinal test and found a large blood clot. They had to go in a second day to treat the ulcer as the clot had to be removed with medication first to insure nothing worse would happen. They clipped the ulcer the next day during the upper endoscopy. I was in intensive care for 4 days. I am home now. I am still feeling some upper back pain intermittently but hopefully that is just part of healing. I am on the pump for the acid reduction and need to have follow-ups soon.

Comment from: Danny, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I have pains after eating fatty or spicy food. The pain is made worse by lying on my left side. Pains are felt out through back and front of abdomen under the ribs (stomach area). The pain sensation is piercing and burning with indigestion and heartburn.