Sinus Infection - Complications

Did you suffer complications of a sinus infection? Please share your experience.

What are complications of sinus infection?

While serious complications do not occur frequently, it is possible for sinus infection to cause a direct extension of infection into the brain through a sinus wall, creating a life-threatening emergency (for example, meningitis or brain abscess). In addition, other adjacent structures can become infected and develop problems, such as osteomyelitis of bones in the skull and infection around the eye (orbital cellulitis). Rarely, these infections (mainly bacterial and fungal organisms) may cause death. The most susceptible individuals to complications are patients with suppressed immune systems and relatively rarely from multiple trauma injuries that may occur in natural disasters.

Return to Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)

Comment from: saloni, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have a severe left side headache and ache in my eyes and ears. A slight strain triggers it.

Comment from: Eddy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I have acute sinusitis only during the winter. As soon as the temperature goes down, my sinus gets blocked. I also have allergies to dust mites, pollen, cigarette and other odors. My home has to be very clean throughout the year. During the summer times, I do not suffer from colds or flu and I can do sports but during the winter I suffer really badly. I go from 4 to 6 months suffering with acute sinus. I have taken antibiotics and all that. I have tried everything you imagine (i.e. nasal wash 2 to 4 x daily; steam inhalers; put my pillows up; dehumidifier; air purifiers; etc.) It is impacting on my mental health now and it is affecting other areas of my life. I do not know what to do any more.