Sinus Infection - Home Remedies

Please share home remedies for treating a sinus infection.

Are there home remedies for a sinus infection?

Sinus infections caused by viruses can use home (over-the-counter) treatments such as pain and fever medications (acetaminophen [Tylenol]), decongestants, and mucolytics. In addition, some health care providers suggest that nasal irrigation or a sinus rinse solution will help relieve symptoms of sinus infections, even chronic sinusitis symptoms. This irrigation is accomplished with a "Neti-Pot" or a sinus rinse kit (sometimes termed a nasal bidet). The last reference of this article shows a video of a sinus rinse procedure. In 2012, the FDA issued a warning about the use of Neti-Pots; the FDA cautions people not to use untreated tap water for rinsing, as contaminated tap water rinses lead to two deaths.

Bacterial and fungal sinus infections usually require antibiotic or antifungal therapy so home treatments without them are often not successful. However, some authors suggest home treatments may reduce symptoms after medical therapy has begun; some health care practitioners recommend nasal irrigation after sinus surgery.

Return to Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)

Comment from: WingsOWorld, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Both parents suffered from sinus problems. Having a congenital malformation of left eustachian tube leaves me more prone to sinus type problems. A few tricks I have learned: Keep sinus draining by using a few sprinkles of cayenne pepper or a few flakes on red chilies (the type you put on pizza) on your food. For sinus headaches (akin to migraines, just as painful), take 1 caffeine tab, (known as Stay Awake, and cheap). Sinuses will begin to drain within 5 to 10 minutes and headache will disappear. I always try natural remedies first, successfully.

Comment from: Faith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

The ENT doctors suggested sinus surgery for treating sinus infection and to open up sinuses; I did it and it did not help. I went to 3 dentists and one found decay under the filling under a top molar, I had it addressed and felt much better. I also was told by my ND (naturopathic doctor) to stop dairy, wheat and sugar for a few months and see how I feel, since it could be an allergic reaction to something I was eating. I also started drinking 2 drops of oregano oil in my water daily. I also read about intracranial pressure causing some issues similar to sinus issues, and CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leaks or dental cavitations may also be the source. Just some suggestions for people searching for answers.