Endometriosis - Infertility

Is endometriosis the cause of your infertility? If so, what treatment options have you tried or been given?

Treatment of infertility associated with endometriosis

Endometriosis is more common in infertile, compared to fertile, women. However, the condition usually does not fully prevent conception. Most women with endometriosis will still be able to conceive, especially those with mild to moderate endometriosis. It is estimated that up to 70% of women with mild and moderate endometriosis will conceive within three years without any specific treatment.

The reasons for a decrease in fertility are not completely understood, but might be due to both anatomic and hormonal factors. The presence of endometriosis may involve masses of tissue or scarring (adhesions) within the pelvis that may distort normal anatomical structures, such as Fallopian tubes, which transport the eggs from the ovaries. Alternatively, endometriosis may affect fertility through the production of hormones and other substances that have a negative effect on ovulation, fertilization of the egg, and/or implantation of the embryo. Infertility associated with endometriosis is more common in women with severe forms of the disease.

Treatment options for infertility associated with endometriosis are varied, but most doctors believe that surgical treatments are superior to hormonal or medical treatments for endometriosis when the goal is enhancement of fertility. Assisted reproduction techniques may also be used when appropriate in combination with surgical therapy.

Return to Endometriosis

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a 39 year old doctor, who got married five years ago and does not have a child. I thought it was only lack of right timing, because my husband and I do meet often, and besides, I do not feel premenstrual pain nor a post-coital pain. However, today through transvaginal ultrasound, I was found to have bilateral endometrial cyst. It scares me. I hope that in my next input, It would be a good news.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

We had been trying to get pregnant for a year and started testing to see why I couldn't get pregnant. After we ruled out problems with my husband we started testing me. Ovulation was happening, so they went to see if my tubes were blocked and that was fine. They then decided to check for endometriosis via laparoscopy. They found endometriosis and removed what they could find. I was pregnant a month later and when we decided to have a second I was pregnant a month later. Unfortunately, after seven years I think I'm having issues again and we are looking into a hysterectomy. I am 36.