Crohn's Disease - Treatment

Describe the various kinds of treatment you've had for Crohn's disease.

Please select the black triangle:

How is Crohn's disease treated?

The symptoms and severity of Crohn's disease vary among patients. Patients with mild or no symptoms may not need treatment. Patients whose disease is in remission (where symptoms are absent) also may not need treatment.

Return to Crohn's Disease

Comment from: ulunda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at age 68 after suffering stomach pain and having a colonoscopy. I was put on Imuran which helped for a while until I was admitted to hospital with pancreatitis. After this painful episode I tried another tablet which I can't remember but it had bad side effects too. In between medications I was on steroids which were great but I was not allowed to stay on them for more than a month or two. I eventually had 2 trips to hospital for bowel resection about 13 cm each time, they were exactly 1 year apart. I am now on methotrexate injections once a week for maintenance and the side effects of this injection are horrible. I inject every Monday morning then feel nauseous and want to sleep for the next 3 days. At the moment I am suffering severe pain in my stomach and feel I might have gallstones. I am seeing my doctor in 2 days so hopefully I can get some relief.

Comment from: rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease (CD) at age 59, by colonoscopy. I had developed urgent bowel movement, soft stools, which I thought was a side effect of the omeprazole I had just gone on for reflux (Barrett's syndrome diagnosed). The gastroenterologist just went for the direct approach. Blood tests at the time revealed auto-immune problems, so I was also seeing a rheumatologist (for sudden knee pains), dermatologist (for allergic skin problems), and ophthalmologist for dry eyes. I had no pain, am overweight, and no known eating allergies. I had a 6 month dose of steroids, put on even more weight, but within a month I was back to normal in the bowel movement department. Now no symptoms of Crohn's apart from occasional signs of fresh blood on the tissue paper. But I do suffer from an occasional serious bout of burning skin rash on face and neck, and/or a dose of itchy skin and hives rotating around the body for a few weeks. I had this for a couple of years before diagnosis of CD. Mystery. But I am grateful that this seems to be my only problem (not sure if connected) from my CD. I don't feel like a Crohn's sufferer, I can't relate to most of the above although I do sympathize; also I worry for my future.