Constipation - Causes

If known, what is the cause of or reason for your constipation? Have you found a remedy?

What causes constipation?

Theoretically, constipation can be caused by the slow passage of digesting food through any part of the intestine. Most of the time, however, the slowing occurs in the colon.

Return to Constipation

Comment from: b, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

My constipation is caused by narcotics. I've been a pain patient for nearly 15 years, and I've gotten to the point that I don't know what else to try. The last were the Relistor injections. All it did was 'not' help me go and did make me so sick I had to go to the emergency room and stop the shots. Lately, even magnesium citrate hasn't caused a bowel movement and it always used to work. I'm left at grasping for straws. There have to be millions of people like me, pain patients for one reason or another who cannot find any relief.

Comment from: colleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have been constipated most of my life. I had a total hysterectomy in February this year. My bowels got worse. I am on Bisacodyl and it works but I don`t want to be on a pill to do something as natural as having a bowel movement! I leave carbs alone because I lost 30 lb. and don`t want to gain it back so fruits, other than berries are out. Fiber is full of carbs, too. I drink plenty of water. I was told by my doctor that the leading reason for constipation is not taking the time out to go! Bowel movements are voluntary so sit relax, it is worth it! I am looking for a natural laxative. I will try what has been suggested on this site and let you all know when I have succeeded!