Anal Fissure - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of anal fissure?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of anal fissures?

People with anal fissures almost always experience anal pain that worsens with bowel movements. The pain following a bowel movement may be brief or long lasting; however, the pain usually subsides between bowel movements. The pain can be so severe that patients are unwilling to have a bowel movement, resulting in constipation and even fecal impaction. Moreover, constipation can result in the passage of a larger, harder stool that causes further trauma and makes the fissure worse. The pain also can affect urination by causing discomfort when urinating (dysuria), frequent urination, or the inability to urinate. Bleeding in small amounts, itching (pruritus ani), and a malodorous discharge may occur due to the discharge of pus from the fissure. As previously mentioned, anal fissures commonly bleed in infants.

Return to Anal Fissure

Comment from: Peter maher, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Since I've had anal fissures, I have had thin stools. Also, I did a stool test and it was good, except it shows a red blood count (RBC) of 0-2. I don't know if this is normal.

Comment from: PITA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I thought it was external hemorrhoids, but the protruding bags of skin along the edge of my anus turned out to be the skin tags caused by chronic anal fissures. The symptoms I've experienced include severe pain before, during and after some bowel movements (even normal ones, and not always), waking in the night with indescribable anal pain a couple times a month, and a constant feeling of pressure or fullness in my rectum. I was just diagnosed today, so I have had no treatment yet. Colonoscopy is to be scheduled in the next week or two.