Anal Fissure - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of anal fissure?

What are the symptoms of anal fissures?

People with anal fissures almost always experience anal pain that worsens with bowel movements. The pain following a bowel movement may be brief or long lasting; however, the pain usually subsides between bowel movements. The pain can be so severe that patients are unwilling to have a bowel movement, resulting in constipation and even fecal impaction. Moreover, constipation can result in the passage of a larger, harder stool that causes further trauma and makes the fissure worse. The pain also can affect urination by causing discomfort when urinating (dysuria), frequent urination, or the inability to urinate. Bleeding in small amounts, itching (pruritus ani), and a malodorous discharge may occur due to the discharge of pus from the fissure. As previously mentioned, anal fissures commonly bleed in infants.

Return to Anal Fissure

Comment from: TM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I suffered with chronic anal fissures over the years on and off and when I had my first child two years ago, the pain was like nothing else, and has been ever since. I have tried all the creams over the years, and suppositories, and over the last year, I have had two Botox injections which seemed to help at the time, but my problem just won't go away! Anyone who has experienced this has my deepest sympathy as it is a pain like no other. I could cry thinking about it. I generally have a good diet but what I can and can't, should and shouldn't eat overrides my every thought. If ever I want a quick sandwich as am hungry, I immediately think, this is going to hurt tomorrow morning! I was advised by the surgeon that the next stage would be the controversial operation of cutting out the tear and stitching it but this can lead you to being mildly incontinent! I just feel at my wits end!

Comment from: lyndakgb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

My pain began in April, and at first was a burning pain on the left side of rectal area mainly at night, but it has progressed into a continuous pain, and bowel movements are absolutely unbearable. I wish I knew a cure for anal fissure that would help myself and others. No one who has not experienced this condition can understand the physical and mental torture we endure.