Blood Clots - In Leg

What were the complications of your blood clot?

Please select the black square:

What are the complications of blood clots?

Blood clots prevent proper circulation of blood.

Deep vein thrombosis of the leg or arm may cause permanent damage to the veins themselves and cause persistent swelling of the extremity. The life-threatening issue that may arise from deep venous clots is a clot that breaks off and embolizes to the lungs (pulmonary embolus), causing problems with lung function and oxygenation of the blood.

Arterial thrombus often is a life- or limb threatening event, since organs and cells do not get enough oxygen.

Return to Blood Clots

Comment from: Runtiness, Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I found out about my blood clot after my knee operation several months ago. It was then that I had a scan and was told that the clot was 8.6 cm long and below my right knee. Now I'm taking blood thinners. One month later I found out that I have a second blood clot in the same leg but in a different vein. It's frustrating because I don't know how long I'll have to be on blood thinners.

Comment from: Faye, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

For several weeks, I had pain and swelling in the lower right leg, which got so bad I could hardly walk or stand. It felt like something hot was going through my leg. I finally went to the doctor. After some tests, I was told there was a blood clot in my right leg but not in my left leg. I started getting anticlotting injections (11 in my stomach) and taking Coumadin. A few days after the clot was found in my right leg, I had the same problem with my left leg. I have been on Coumadin for over four weeks, and I was told I would be on medication from three to six months. Both feet and legs are still swollen but not as badless in the morning. But as the day goes on, they are more swollen. The worse part of taking this medicine, to me, is the red spots that keep appearing. Some are small, and some are quite large on my hands, arms, and legs. I have asked my doctor why some people get blood clots. I am still waiting for an answer.