Blood Clots - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of blood clots?

Venous clots do not allow blood to return to the heart and symptoms occur because of this damming effect. Most often occurring in the legs or the arms, symptoms include:

• swelling,

• warmth,

• redness, and

• pain.

Arterial clots do not allow blood get to the affected area. Body tissue that is deprived of blood and oxygen begins to die and becomes ischemic (isch=to restrain + emia = blood)

• Pain is the initial symptom of the ischemia, or oxygen deprivation due to loss of blood supply.

• Other symptoms depend upon the location of the clot, and often the effect will be a loss of function. Heart attack and stroke are self-explanatory.

• In an arm or leg, in addition to pain, the limb may appear white, and weakness, loss of sensation, or paralysis may occur.

• If the blood supply is lost to an area of the bowel, in addition to intense pain, there may be bloody diarrhea.

Return to Blood Clots

Comment from: Hillbillyjim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

Before I was diagnosed with blood clot I had a dull pain that felt like a cramp in my leg. It moved up my leg, over the course of a week. Now it is in my lower left side, by my kidney.

Comment from: jmb43058, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

My first clot was in my leg that went to my lung. I had no symptoms other than my leg swelling from foot to ankle over a few days. I was being told it was everything but a clot, finally when it was up in my thigh and an old motorcycle burn started leaking fluid I knew I had to go to hospital. There they found it was a massive blood clot from leg to lungs. I was in hospital 7 days and in ICU 4 days with all kinds of thinner medicines going through my body. Interventional radiology went up to lung, through the back of knee to lung with TPA (tissue plasminogen activator) to blast clot out. It took 4 days to get it all out. Then in 2015 I was going through a lot of stressful things with anxiety. All of a sudden I was so short of breath I thought I was having a nervous breakdown. That night I went to hospital, I just couldn't shake the anxiety. They found a massive clot in lung again. I don't know how I made it through that but thankfully, 5 days in hospital they went through the bottom of belly to lung to blast some of it out. I am now on Xarelto for life, and I have been making rounds with vascular doctor, pulmonary doctor, heart doctor and hematologist who did blood work today to see if any blood factors are causing the clots.