Blood Clots - Symptoms

What symptoms did you have before you were diagnosed with a blood clot?

What are the symptoms of blood clots?

Venous clots do not allow blood to return to the heart and symptoms occur because of this damming effect. Most often occurring in the legs or the arms, symptoms include:

• swelling,

• warmth,

• redness, and

• pain.

Arterial clots do not allow blood get to the affected area. Body tissue that is deprived of blood and oxygen begins to die and becomes ischemic (isch=to restrain + emia = blood)

• Pain is the initial symptom of the ischemia, or oxygen deprivation due to loss of blood supply.

• Other symptoms depend upon the location of the clot, and often the effect will be a loss of function. Heart attack and stroke are self-explanatory.

• In an arm or leg, in addition to pain, the limb may appear white, and weakness, loss of sensation, or paralysis may occur.

• If the blood supply is lost to an area of the bowel, in addition to intense pain, there may be bloody diarrhea.

Return to Blood Clots

Comment from: Paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

The symptoms I had before I was diagnosed with a blood clot started with a small pinch type of pain in my left calf when I walked, but no pain at all from cycling so I continued to ride for a couple of days then found myself unable to have my leg below waist level for more than 5 minutes (intense pain and swelling). I waited 2 days to go to the emergency room and am on Xarelto twice daily now.

Comment from: Jason B, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

Around November 2013, I began having chest pain and difficulty breathing every time I went out into the cold air. I"m in my mid 30s and don"t get the opportunity to exercise like I"d like so I passed it off as being out of shape. In early January, I woke up feeling like I had a severe cramp below my right calf. I tried massaging but it was very painful. I rested that day and then put in two full days of work before finally giving in and going to my doctor. I thought I had just torn or strained a muscle somehow. By then my right leg was burning. Luckily my doctor knew what he was doing and immediately scheduled me for an ultra sound at the local hospital. Before the ultra-sound was over, I was informed that I was not going home that day. I had several clots from my right knee to my ankle. A CT was also conducted and I had several clots in both lungs. Eight days later I got to go home. So far the cause is unknown. I hadn"t taken any long trips, suffered any injuries, or been immobile at work/home for long periods of time. There is also no family history of clots. I"ve had every kind of test imaginable with no luck as to finding the cause. I can"t sit, stand, or walk for long periods of time which also means I"m not sleeping very much. I still have leg pain and difficulty breathing. My oxygen levels vary between 94 and 98 and taking a full breath is not possible without the pain. It is 1 1/2 months after first diagnosis and I still can"t get my INRs to level out. I"m taking between 7.5mg and 12.5mg of warfarin every day.