Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes

What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?

What causes an arrhythmia?

Arrhythmias may be caused by many different factors, including:

• Coronary artery disease.
  • Electrolyte imbalances in your blood (such as sodium or potassium).
  • Changes in your heart muscle.
  • Injury from a heart attack.
  • Healing process after heart surgery.
  • Irregular heart rhythms can also occur in "normal, healthy" hearts.
Return to Arrhythmia

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have had 3 episodes of atrial fibrillation in the last 15 years, the last one in July of this year which was the first in over 13 years. Since that time I have been experiencing skipped beats occasionally but in the last week I have them every day, sometimes 6 to 10 a minute. I have been checked out by a cardiologist as well when I was in the hospital back in July and no problems. I am trying to get rid of them but nothing seems to work.

Comment from: RoRo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I find that stress contributes to my irregular heartbeat, and also white wine. I started experiencing arrhythmia back in September 2014. I went to my doctor. He performed an EKG and it was normal. It continued so I made an appointment with my cardiologist. He performed an EKG and heart ultrasound which were both normal. He then ordered a stress test without thallium and it showed some irregularities. He sent me home with a Holter monitor and that also showed irregular heartbeat. I had another stress test with thallium done today along with some scans to rule out any problems with the blood flow to the heart. He is quite sure it will be fine. I need to stress less. I am always anxious. This started when I went off ERT (estrogen replacement therapy) about a year and a half ago. Hopefully, everything will be okay.