Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes

What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?

What causes an arrhythmia?

Arrhythmias may be caused by many different factors, including:

• Coronary artery disease.
  • Electrolyte imbalances in your blood (such as sodium or potassium).
  • Changes in your heart muscle.
  • Injury from a heart attack.
  • Healing process after heart surgery.
  • Irregular heart rhythms can also occur in "normal, healthy" hearts.
Return to Arrhythmia

Comment from: livegood3, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I've noticed that when I drink something cold like ice water or have a shake after exercising (especially), or even if just walking around the mall or my house, my heart will go into arrhythmia for anywhere from 30 minutes to three hours. I also feel light headed when I stand up sometimes, once these arrhythmias start. I normally have a regular heart rhythm of 75-85. But when I drink a cold beverage, it can shoot up to 160-200 sometimes.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have had 3 episodes of atrial fibrillation in the last 15 years, the last one in July of this year which was the first in over 13 years. Since that time I have been experiencing skipped beats occasionally but in the last week I have them every day, sometimes 6 to 10 a minute. I have been checked out by a cardiologist as well when I was in the hospital back in July and no problems. I am trying to get rid of them but nothing seems to work.