Kidney Failure - Diet

What changes have you made to your diet since you were diagnosed with kidney failure?

Please select the black square:

Diet

Diet is an important consideration for those with impaired kidney function. Consultation with a dietician may be helpful to understand what foods may or may not be appropriate.

Since the kidneys cannot easily remove excess water, salt, or potassium, these may need to be consumed in limited quantities. Foods high in potassium include bananas, apricots, and salt substitutes.

Phosphorus is a forgotten chemical that is associated with calcium metabolism and may be elevated in the body in kidney failure. Too much phosphorus can leech calcium from the bones and cause osteoporosis and fractures. Foods with high phosphorus content include milk, cheese, nuts, and cola drinks.

Return to Kidney Failure

Comment from: VeganJenn123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I was diagnosed about 7 years ago with chronic kidney disease. I took medications regularly and traveled a lot. Sometimes I would miss my medications when I was traveling. I got sick and my mom came to take care of me. I went to a new doctor who recommended a low-protein diet. It's been 4 years now and I feel great!

Comment from: Paul, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm 55 and I've had diabetes for 52 years (type 1), and I was told 20 years ago that I would be on dialysis in 3 years. After much research and trial I have been able to keep my kidneys working by a diet low in protein and high in green leafy vegetables and I take alpha lipoic acid tablets 600mg per day plus other herbs. Exercise is important and good rest.