Anemia - Levels

What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?

Please select the black square:

What is anemia?

Anemia is a medical condition in which the red blood cell count or hemoglobin is less than normal. The normal level of hemoglobin is generally different in males and females. For men, anemia is typically defined as hemoglobin level of less than 13.5 gram/100 ml and in women as hemoglobin of less than 12.0 gram/100 ml. These definitions may vary slightly depending on the source and the laboratory reference used.

Return to Anemia

Comment from: Grace, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I recently changed doctors. The original doctor gave me Procrit when my hemoglobin level was less than 12. This current doctor says that I don't need a shot unless my hemoglobin level is less than 10. I am concerned.

Comment from: deeg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Before trying this talk to your doctor as iron over dose is serious. My hematologist put me on 5 g/324 mg ferrous gluconate 3 times per day. My hemoglobin was 5.6, it was my fault, I failed to take my iron for months. I got back to taking the prescribed iron and I am nearly normal within a month. This iron is no prescription required, but have to ask pharmacy for it as it is kept behind counter. Most ladies don't realize the other iron elements run havoc on digestive system however the (gluconate) does not cause any of these side effects at least not for me; it has been well tolerated and it works.