Anemia - Levels

What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?

What is anemia?

Anemia is a medical condition in which the red blood cell count or hemoglobin is less than normal. The normal level of hemoglobin is generally different in males and females. For men, anemia is typically defined as hemoglobin level of less than 13.5 gram/100 ml and in women as hemoglobin of less than 12.0 gram/100 ml. These definitions may vary slightly depending on the source and the laboratory reference used.

Return to Anemia

Comment from: libuti, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was easily fatigued and had dizziness. One day my wife took me to a doctor who said I have severe anemia and I was admitted and treated in hospital for 3 weeks.

Comment from: Luckyone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had all of the classical anemia symptoms for over a year. The odd symptom was stomach pains. I kept going to the doctor getting same diagnosis: IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and anxiety. I went to a naturopath to get help with my "IBS". She ordered a simple blood panel because my color didn't look right. Surprise! I was anemic. RBC was 5; anything under 7 is considered life threatening. I had to have four units of blood and four days in hospital to figure out why I lost so much blood. Much to my surprise my "IBS" was colon cancer. Don't second guess yourself if you feel that something is really wrong. If I had just listened to my doctor, who knows how far the cancer would have gone. (Fortunately Stage II, removed during surgery, no chemotherapy or radiation. Now, almost one year, I am cancer free.)