Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?

Please select the white circle:

What is the prognosis of pancreatic cancer?

Pancreatic cancer is a difficult disease. Even for surgically resectable (and therefore potentially curable) tumors, the risk of cancer recurrence and subsequent death remains high. Only about 20% of patients undergoing a Whipple procedure for potentially curable pancreatic cancer live five years, with the rest surviving on average less than two years. For patients with incurable (locally advanced unresectable or metastatic) pancreatic cancer, survival is even shorter; typically it is measured in months. With metastatic disease (stage IV), the average survival is just over six months. Doctors around the world continue to study this terrible disease and strive to improve treatments, but progress has been difficult to achieve.

Return to Pancreatic Cancer

Comment from: t, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have lesions in the body of my pancreas, also a larger lesion on my spleen too. I have had no treatment or surgeries. I am worried about what I should do.

Comment from: Wife, Female (Caregiver) Published: June 19

My husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer two years ago. He had symptoms two years prior to his diagnosis, of backache, fullness, stomachache and light headed ness, faintness. He has had chemotherapy and radiation, went into remission for 6 months but it returned. He is going into his 2nd year of Gemzar and the cancerous tumor continues to shrink. The chemotherapy is tough on him and his quality of life. They say he is in the elite 10 survival rate, but we need different treatment options! I fear it will be the chemotherapy that kills him. By the way, his markers have never shown cancer.