Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?

What is the prognosis of pancreatic cancer?

Pancreatic cancer is a difficult disease. Even for surgically resectable (and therefore curable) tumors, the risk of cancer recurrence and subsequent death remains high. Only about 20% of patients undergoing a Whipple procedure for curable pancreatic cancer live 5 years, with the rest surviving on average less than 2 years. For patients with incurable (locally advanced unresectable or metastatic) pancreatic cancer, survival is even shorter; typically it is measured in months. With metastatic disease (stage IV), the average survival is just over 6 months. Doctors around the world continue to study this terrible disease and strive to improve treatments, but progress has been difficult to come by.

Return to Pancreatic Cancer

Comment from: Zookeeper., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I am currently diagnosed with stage 1A endocrine pancreatic cancer. I have read about early treatment in the form of surgery (the Whipple procedure). However, because my two spots on body and tail are small (mm not cm) I would like to know if not doing any type of treatment for now would be more harmful in the long run. In the past year I have had surgery, chemo and radiation for cancer in my tonsil. The chemo and radiation really took a toll on me and I was a strong individual prior to the treatment. I have been a lifelong smoker, but quit after cancer was discovered in my tonsil.