Lung Cancer - Facts

Do you, a friend, or relative have lung cancer? Which lung cancer facts are most surprising to you?

Please select the white circle:

Lung cancer facts

• Lung cancer is the number one cause of cancer deaths in both men and women in the U.S. and worldwide.
  • Cigarette smoking is the principal risk factor for development of lung cancer.
  • Passive exposure to tobacco smoke also can cause lung cancer.
  • The two types of lung cancer, which grow and spread differently, are the small cell lung cancers (SCLC) and non-small cell lung cancers (NSCLC).
  • The stage of lung cancer refers to the extent to which the cancer has spread in the body.
  • Treatment of lung cancer can involve a combination of surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy as well as newer experimental methods.
  • The general prognosis of lung cancer is poor because doctors tend not to find the disease until it is at an advanced stage. Five-year survival is 40% to 50% for early stage lung cancer, but only 1% to 5% in advanced, inoperable lung cancer.
  • Smoking cessation is the most important measure that can prevent the development of lung cancer.
Return to Lung Cancer

Comment from: Lung Cancer Symptoms, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I am 43. I had the CT scan for something different and a little nodule was seen in my lower left lobe of the lung. A biopsy revealed it was cancer. I had the tracheotomy and reduced left lobotomy along with a small wedge resection of upper left lung due to another smaller nodule. I had no lymph involvement. I have the suspicious cloudy opacity around my upper right lung that's being watched. Overall, the surgery in addition to recovery have eliminated cancer well, although the tracheotomy is usually an unpleasant and painful recovery even if everything goes very well. I am due to go in regarding another CT search in January to see or watch any changes inside upper right lobe; surgery may be considered and I am about to ask about the biopsy which will never be done. I imagine the 'wait in addition to see' approach is actually questionable, especially with lung cancer.

Comment from: daytona7, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

Way back in the mid-80s while in the USA, I had a chest x-ray which showed a small nodule in the lower right lobe of my lung. Nothing ever came of it. Two years ago another x-ray also showed a small nodule in the lower right lobe with no follow up. Back in August or September 2014 I was diagnosed with non-small cell cancer of the lower right lobe. The nodule measured 2.6 cm. One oncologist said I had stage 3 or 4 lung cancer and wanted to put me on chemotherapy right away, before consultation with the center's radiation oncologist and biopsy of lymph node or a chance to get a second opinion. Biopsy came back as benign. Radiation oncologist said it was stage 1. On Feb. 18, I had the first of five radiation treatments. Would have had second treatment today but problem with a pinched nerve left shoulder forced me to stop treatment until the 23rd. What surprised me the most, was the lack of consultation between both oncologist at the cancer research and treatment center and myself, the patient.