Rheumatoid Arthritis - Prognosis

What's the prognosis for your rheumatoid arthritis?

Please select the white circle:

What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with rheumatoid arthritis?

With early, aggressive treatment, the outlook for those affected by rheumatoid arthritis can be very good. The overall attitude regarding ability to control the disease has changed tremendously since the turn of the century. Doctors now strive to eradicate any signs of active disease while preventing flare-ups. The disease can be controlled and a cooperative effort by the doctor and patient can lead to optimal health.

Patients have a less favorable outlook when they have deformity, disability, ongoing uncontrolled joint inflammation, and/or rheumatoid disease affecting other organs of the body. Overall, rheumatoid arthritis tends to be potentially more damaging when rheumatoid factor or citrulline antibody is demonstrated by blood testing.

Return to Rheumatoid Arthritis

Comment from: christy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis at the age of 18mths old it started in my right ankle now I only know that I have maybe about 5 joints that are not affected by rheumatoid arthritis. I have had my left knee joint replaced and I'm in great need of having my right knee and hip done.

Comment from: joanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

A new kind of normal is the best I can hope for after suffering through the gamut of all the medications offered for rheumatoid arthritis. I am fortunate to live in Australia where the government funds the expensive biologicals so I am reasonably mobile. I have found resting and giving up work the only way I could survive this horrendous disease after suffering 10 years of pushing it up hill. I stay at home all the time and sleep and rest as much as I can and go out to appointments only when necessary. I have changed from an extravert to an introvert.

Stay Informed!