Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the types of impetigo, and what are impetigo symptoms and signs? What does impetigo look like?

There are two forms of impetigo:

• Non-bullous impetigo: This is the more common form, caused by both staph and strep bacteria. This form initially presents as small red papules similar to insect bites. These lesions rapidly evolve to small blisters and then to pustules that finally scab over with a characteristic honey-colored crust. This entire process usually takes several days. These lesions often start around the nose and on the face, but less frequently they may also affect the arms and legs. At times, there may be swollen but non-tender lymph nodes (glands) nearby.
  • Bullous impetigo: This form of impetigo is caused only by staph bacteria. These bacteria produce a toxin that reduces cell-to-cell stickiness (adhesion) causing separation between the top skin layer (epidermis) and the lower layer (dermis). This leads to the formation of a blister. (The medical term for blister is bulla.) Bullae can appear in various skin areas, especially the buttocks and trunk. These blisters are fragile and contain a clear yellow-colored fluid. The bullae are delicate and often break and leave red, raw skin with a ragged edge. A dark crust will commonly develop during the final stages of development. With healing, this crust will resolve.
Return to Impetigo

Comment from: ReneB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am currently suffering from impetigo for the 3rd time in 6 months. This time is the worst so far. The first round of antibiotics did nothing. I went to Urgent Care 3 days later because of swelling and was put on an additional antibiotic, prednisone and Bactroban. Now over a week later there's still no change. It freaking hurts, like pulsing pain right next to my mouth. Every time it crusts over, I open my mouth to eat something and bam, cracks wide open. I have an appointment with a dermatologist tomorrow, so fingers crossed they can figure something out because I am not happy!

Comment from: alexandrraah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I developed severe impetigo on my face with canker sores on my lips when I was 19. I had 103 degree fevers and the infection spread on my face mainly around my chin. I got it from having no immune system from being an alcoholic. I took antibiotics and in 2 weeks it was gone. I'm 20 now and every few months a blister will pop up in the exact same as spot as before but not spread; just blister and disappear. I don't understand it. I'm no longer a drinker and have never had acne or cuts on my face.