Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Please select the white circle:

What are the types of impetigo? What are impetigo symptoms and signs? What does impetigo look like?

There are two forms of impetigo:

• Non-bullous impetigo: This is the more common form, caused by both staph and strep bacteria. This form initially presents as small red papules similar to insect bites. These lesions rapidly evolve to small blisters and then to pustules that finally scab over with a characteristic honey-colored crust. This entire process usually takes several days. These lesions often start around the nose and on the face, but less frequently they may also affect the arms and legs. At times, there may be non-tender but swollen lymph nodes (glands) nearby.
  • Bullous impetigo: This form of impetigo is caused only by staph bacteria. These bacteria produce a toxin that reduces cell-to-cell stickiness (adhesion) causing separation between the top skin layer (epidermis) and the lower layer (dermis). This leads to the formation of a blister. (The medical term for blister is bulla.) Bullae can appear in various skin areas, especially the buttocks and trunk. These blisters are fragile and contain a clear yellow-colored fluid. The bullae are delicate and often break and leave red, raw skin with a ragged edge. A dark crust will commonly develop during the final stages of development. With healing, this crust will resolve.
Return to Impetigo

Comment from: Pearl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I first noticed a sore inside my nose. It felt like an ingrown pimple as I couldn't see it. From touching and trying to blow my nose it transferred to the other nostril, and became a sore. I noticed every day my skin was peeling further away from the center. I ended up getting two sores on my face, one about 1/4 inch big. That particular one scabbed, but upon washing my face gently my skin around the scab was peeling away, and I ended up with a bigger sore. Another one appeared on my neck, and under my eye. I scratched thinking it was a bug bite, but became a red wet sore as well. The impetigo sores itch a lot and also sting from being raw skin. I'd avoid scratching anything by all means. It's scary to know they just appear from touching. I've been treating it with juice from aloe vera plant twice a day, and oral antibiotics. So far it has been a week, and they seem to be healing with the aloe vera. I also wore Band-Aids over them today and it seemed to keep them from spreading, but didn't retain any moisture due to the aloe vera acting as a dry film that your skin soaks up.

Comment from: April, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I have had Impetigo now for a little over what seems like 2 months. I try very hard not to scratch so as not to make it spread but it is very hard when my whole body itches. I have it in my groin area and my bottom, also a spot on my stomach and on my leg. I need to know something to get rid of it fast, as my husband has it on his penis head and in his groin area, probably form me. I am devastated about this because I am tired of scratching like a mad person in public. I am on medications orally and topically. I use Neosporin 2 times a day and take a pill and nothing seems to work; it seems to be spreading.